chapter 18

Millie walks out of her room and is surprised to see Finn. He was in the kitchen looking through the cabinets. "What are you doing here?" she asks.

"I promised Ayla I would cook for her. It was a deal for me to be able to pick you up and not her," he states.

"Oh,"

"I think this is the perfect time for me to teach you how to cook," he says.

She smiles, "Okay." She puts her hair in a ponytail and then walks to wash her hands. After she's done she stands next to him. "So what are we making?"

"How about some chicken and rice. Something easy for you not to mess up," he teases at the end which earns him a punch in the arm. He laughs, "I'm kidding. I'm sure you're an okay cook."

"You know I can just kick you out right?"

He nods, "But you won't" 

She doesn't argue back because she knows she won't do that. "Whatever," she mutters.

He took his time to explain everything to her, how long to cook the chicken, how to prepare the chicken, how to cook the rice etc.. He was gentle and patient with her, and would praise her when she did something correctly. 

Once the food was done, Ayla had came out from her room and served herself some. She was hesitant about the food since she was told Millie cooked as well. But nonetheless she still ate it. 

Finn served himself and Millie a plate of chicken and rice with some bell peppers. He also grabbed some lemonade and poured it into two cups.

Millie looked at the food, fidgeting with the fork. She noticed Finn staring, "I'm okay. It's just sometimes I get scared," she states. She looks at him, "I um-"

"It's okay," he reassures. "I'm here," he places his hand on hers, she squeezes his hand for some sort of comfort. 

They both eat in silence, enjoying each other's company. The whole time she did not let go of his hand. Him being there brought her comfort, made her feel safe. Her safe place has always been with Finn.

After eating, Finn insisted on cleaning up while Millie finished packing. She was spending a couple of days with her mother. Her mother was throwing a party, of course Finn and his family will be attending. 

--

The party was at her mother's beach house. she hasn't been here since last year. Her bedroom was untouched. Everything was still in the same place as before. It felt so nostalgic being back here since she tried her best to avoid coming back.

She looked at the beautiful light pink satin dress that laid on the bed. There was a note, the dress was from Mary. Millie smiled, she couldn't wait to see Mary again.

She began to unpack the clothes she brought with her, since she'll be staying for a week. She then went to her bathroom and began to get ready. She took a shower then after she began to do her makeup. It was a very natural look, other than the sparkly pink eye shadow she applied to her eyelids.

Once her makeup was done, she blow dried her hair before she straightened it. Lastly she put on the dress. She looked at herself in the mirror, she felt beautiful. The pink contrasted her pale skin, the pink eye shadow making her honey brown eyes pop. 

She then realized that Finn still had her ring, so she made a mental note to get it back. She added a diamond necklace and a paired it with diamond studs. She slipped on her sparkly heels before she sprayed perfume and walked out of her bedroom. She walked downstairs to greet the guest.

--

Millie stood near the wall as she people watched. She indulged in conversations only if necessary and then would excuse herself. Just for her to stand alone. She didn't mind it, being alone in a crowded room.