chapter 13

Millie walked out of her apartment, she didn't see how gloomy and dark the sky was as tears covered her vision. She began to walk, passing people as they hurried home. Minutes later she hears thunder, she knew it was going to start raining.

She began walking, not having a destination in mind. She had left her phone at her apartment, she was such in a hurry to leave she had also forgotten her keys and wallet. She wiped her tears but soon raindrops started falling making her sigh in frustration.

Her clothes and hair became drenched quickly as the rain heavily fell against her. After walking for so long she finally stopped seeking shelter near a restaurant . She stood there shivering and as she looked around, taking in where she was at she knew who lived near by.

Immediately she left, walking once again almost running and soon she arrived at the apartment complex. She had no way of calling the person, she just hoped for some miracle that she would run into the person. So she stood there waiting and looking at the people with umbrellas while other were running trying not to get wet.

Every second passed by, it got colder, the rain fell harder, the thunder got louder. She was so cold, her wet hair and clothes sticking tightly to her body.

"Millie?" a voice from behind speaks. She turned around seeing Finn, she felt some sort of relief. "what are you doing here?" he asks but doesn't wait for a response. His hand goes to her back leading her inside to the elevator. He guides her to his apartment, letting her enter before he closes the door behind him.

"I'm sorry for just showing up. I just had to get out the apartment," she explained. "My mother showed up and-"

He pulls her in for a hug whether she wanted to or not, he wrapped his arms around her pulling her shivering cold body to his.

"it's okay," he reassured her. He knew how tough her mother was with Millie. And if she felt safe with him then that's all that mattered.

He pulls away, wiping her tears, "Come," he pulls her to the restroom. "I don't want you getting sick. Take a warm shower." he hands her a clean towel. "I will make some tea to help calm you down," he states.

He walks out closing the door behind her while she begins to take off her wet clothes. She steps in turning on the water, letting the hotness of it touch her body, instantly relaxing to it.

"Mom? What are you doing here?" she asks, closing the door behind her.

"You went to go see your father?"

"Yeah. I wanted to talk to him."

"Why?" she asks in disbelief "He left and ruined this family. He left you, Millie. Why can't you understand that your father is not a good man."

"He didn't want to leave me-"

she laughs, "is that what you think?" she steps closer to her. "He left without saying goodbye, he never called or texted," she pointed out. "He wanted nothing to do with you. He doesn't care about you. You mean nothing to him."

"that's not true," her voice is soft and low, biting her lips to prevent her from crying.

"believe whatever you want," she scoffs "I'm done being the bad guy that you see me as. I know you hate me but I did not leave you, like your father did."

She shook her head to forget about what had happened earlier. Her mother was the villain in her story, always has been. Always making her feel less of herself, to feel imperfect all the time. She turned the hot water setting higher, closing her eyes as she enjoyed the heat of the water burn her skin.