CHAPTER THREE: Closer to Fine

A/N: There's a little homage to the Falcon and the Winter Soldier comics in this chapter

I also made a little playlist for Charlotte so y'all can listen to what I listen to when I write her: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3PGGRadRNiIQyTLcUf4JbW?si=bdc2842b358e44dc

I went to see the doctor of philosophy

With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee
He never did marry or see a B-grade movie
He graded my performance, he said he could see through me
- Indigo Girls, "Closer to Fine"

Charlotte packs up after her class, turning off the projector and leaning up against the podium to close the powerpoint presentation.

"Professor Rydell?" A student asks. She's one of Charlotte's favorites - even though she's not supposed to have favorites, but Tabitha is engaged, always asks great questions, really tries. Even if she gets it a little wrong. Charlotte's thesis supervisor during her undergraduate degree once told her that the only way to get better is to fuck up. She's passed that knowledge along to her students. She's never actually punished a student for getting anything wrong, and she rarely fails people.

Overall, she likes to think of herself as a good professor. She always gives extensions, always tries to accommodate students, because she remembers how stressful it was to be an undergrad. Work, having a social life, dating, and trying to afford to exist in New York is hard enough as it is on top of school work. She's gotten in trouble a few times from the department for not getting her grading in on time, but deadlines are just social constructs anyway.

Although, the Department of Sociology doesn't exactly like to hear their own philosophical jargon thrown back at them when it comes to bureaucracy and deadlines.

"Please," she laughs. "You can call me Charlotte, Tabitha."

"Sorry. Just a habit. Um, I was wondering if I could talk to you about the take home final?"

"Sure."

She pulls her tablet out of her bag and pulls up a word document.

"I actually made a rough outline—"

"Tabitha, this isn't due until Monday."

"I know, it's just... my brother is getting married this weekend, and I want to get it finished because I'm going to be out of town. We can still submit it online, right?"

"Of course." Charlotte takes the tablet from her and looks over the outline. It's solid and well-structured. The students are supposed to be writing on a concept called parrhesia, expanded upon by Foucault. Parrhesia is a concept that involves truth-telling without the use of rhetoric, manipulation, or generalization. It's a difficult concept, and one that Charlotte has struggled to teach. She's had to do hours of extra reading. A lot of her work in gender studies criticizes Foucault for defaulting to focusing on men when he talks about sex and bodies, but she's never had to pull apart some of the more philosophical concepts for a class. She usually teaches introductory courses where it's light on theory and more focused on definitions. She's a little out of her depth here.