CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Nothing's Gonna Hurt You

CW: Sexual assault

CW: Sexual assault. I didn't like writing this. It brought up a lot of stuff for me and maybe got a little too close to what happened to me? I don't go into anything SUPER graphic, but I don't gloss over it either. I do go through the emotions, the dissociation, the self-blame, the gaslighting by police, and the guilt. 

More notes at the end, because I have more to say about this.

Bucky feels on top of the world as he walks back to the apartment with a smile on his face. When he gets in the front door, Charlotte is on the couch tying her boots up.

"Doll?"

"Huh?" She turns around and smiles at him. Bucky feels his knees knock together. He's so stupidly in love with her.

"We're going to pick up your chapters from Caleb, and then I'm taking you on a date," he announces.

"But... I bought stuff for dinner." She pauses. "I told Sam about my dream, by the way. Every detail. He's having Torres look over some mythology."

"I'm sure he's having a great time — listen, we can have that food later. Tonight, I'm taking you to a restaurant- a nice one, and then I'm taking you dancing, and we're walking through Central Park and I want to make out with you in a bush—" he stops himself and winces. "Or some place more romantic than that."

She laughs and stands up. She's in a black overall-type dress and a black and white striped shirt. Her hair is a little messy and she's wearing her glasses today. Her soft freckles are more prominent as the light from the outside shines in through the window. Alpine is napping beside the TV.

"Make out with me in a bush, huh?"

He shrugs, but smiles. Without the threat of vampires, everything would be pretty close to perfect right now. Charlotte smiles at him and he walks toward her, grabbing her face and kissing her hard.

"I want to make you feel special and show you that I love you. I'm usually not very good at this part of relationships."

"Well, you've got the sex down pat."

He smirks and blushes.

"Thanks."

She giggles.

"Okay. Where did you have in mind?"

"There's a small Italian place that this guy I was seeing a couple of months ago took me to," he says softly. "It's really nice."

For a second, he's worried that the mention of an ex will sour things, but all Charlotte does is smile.

"I love Italian. We can have pasta two nights in a row."

He smiles at her.

"I love Italian too."