45| No going back

Alyssa
_______________

My mother's words echo through the silence. The rest of the guests have stopped knocking back champagne long enough to watch things unfold, and from the look on my parents' faces, they are furious.

I tear my eyes away from my mom's, spotting Marnie's smug smirk in the crowd. She's standing by Justin, who is revelling in my family's downfall, and that's all it takes. I snatch my hand from my mother's grip and push past the security guards before running out onto the driveway.

But he's gone.

Heart pounding, I head through the security gates and scan the street for his car, but the place is empty. There's a moment of panic where I consider going back inside. It's not like I have the keys to my car or anywhere to go, but going inside means accepting the way those people treated Max, and that's something I'll never do.

Instead, I pull out my phone from my little black clutch bag and try to call Max, but he won't answer. Either he doesn't hear it ringing, or tonight has scared him away for good; all I can do is pray it's the former. I call a few more times before admitting defeat and call for an Uber instead.

Maybe it's stupid, but I input the address for Hayden's gym – the only place I can think of to go. A place I feel safe. Of course, there'll be no one there at this time to let me inside, but I don't want to show up at Max's house. He might not want to see me if he's even there at all, and if Kino spots me, it'll just make everything worse.

Despite feeling pathetic – it's clear he doesn't want to talk to me anymore – I send Max a message that says:

Meet me at the gym. We need to talk.

Then I tuck my phone back into my clutch bag and stare at the empty road. The seconds drag by slowly, and the wait gives me time to overthink. My eyes burn with tears, not just because Max probably hates me right now, but because my family does too. And that's the worst thing about it, the part I can't wrap my head around. The part that makes me sick. Despite knowing deep down that they're terrible people, I can't help but love them anyway.

A slight bite to the air sends shivers down my arms. My impromptu escape means I've not got a jacket and have nothing in my clutch bag but my phone and some lipstick, not exactly survival 101. But if it comes down to spending the night cold and alone or heading back inside, I know which I'd prefer.

I think.

"Hey."

I turn as Maddie and Hayden walk toward me. I'm not sure why, but seeing their familiar faces through the dark brings tears to my eyes. Maddie wraps her arms around me and pulls me in closer, letting me rest my head on her shoulder.

"Are you all right?" she asks. "We were out the back and came inside to everyone talking about what happened. Where's Max?"

"He left already," I manage to say, but I can't keep my voice from shaking. "I don't know where he went. I've called an Uber – I was going to head to the gym."

"How do you know that's where he's headed?" Hayden asks.

I pause, and then, "I don't. I just don't have anywhere else to go."

Maddie pulls back to shoot me a tender look. "Hay, if you give me the keys to the gym, I'll take Liss there. You go and find Max and tell him where to meet us, okay?"

Hayden nods without question and gives her the keys. "I'll see you later," he says, and then he whispers something in her ear that makes her smile.

"I love you too," she says back.