6. No goodbye

Trigger warning: curse words are being used in this chapter. Read at your own risk.

Nancy p.o.v

As the days went by, the moment I had to leave and tell my parents the news I was leaving for good, came closer. Nerves started to rise within me. I had no idea how to break the news to the younger ones. I questioned myself all the time. 

Should I tell them a day before? 

Or should I tell them just moments before I would be picked up? 

Are they capable of keeping the information to themselves? 

In de the end I chose the be with them the whole evening and morning before I was going. Luckily they would come on a Saturday so there was no suspicion if I would stay at the house during the day as it was weekend. 

I helped my parents with everything I could for one last time. I helped with cooking, the dishes, laundry, cleaning without any complaining. Also, I kept my brothers and sisters entertained so my parents wouldn't be disturbed. I played games and colored with them for one last time. 

It was difficult to think about the fact I couldn't do this anymore after tomorrow, knowing I wouldn't see them grow up. I would never see Stan and Maya go to school for the first time. I would never see Brian having his first girlfriend and the twins having their first boyfriend. I would never see any of them graduate high school. 

The words of Brian were echoing through my head. 

You are so selfish!

So you are leaving us with them? So you can have some great life out there while we suffer here?! 

I shook my head. The more I thought about it the more anxious I became, and the more I wanted to stay here. 

I could only hope my parents would look out for them more and also I heavily depended on the help of The Baby Programme itself. They promised me they would be looked after. 

I had a hard time trusting people in general, but for my own sake, I had put all my trust in that promise so I could leave this house with a good heart, knowing no harm would come to my sibling's way with the government's help. 

Maybe I was naive, but it was the only anchor I had now to hold on to because nobody could possibly understand in what kind of position I was in right now. 

At least that I know of. 

It was twelve o'clock when I was busying myself with making lunch for my family. My father just got home from his morning shift and my mom was sleeping, I think. 

Little Stan came to join me, to keep me company. Deep in my heart, I knew he was going to be a gentleman when he grows up. 

The kind that holds doors open, picks things up when fallen down, and is always greeting people happily.

"Sis, what you doin'?" 

"I'm making some lunch. Do you want to help me, buddy?" I looked at him and his tiny little eyes grew wide in excitement. 

"Yes, yes, yes!" He chanted. 

"Alright bud, but before you can help me we have to keep quiet otherwise we will wake the evil queen," I whispered. "And if she wakes up, she will turn us in frogs!" I whisper-yelled while tickling him. 

Stan squealed. I loved seeing him so happy and carefree. I had a feeling he knew fairly well what was going on in our household. He seemed sometimes so mature for his age and he was just three. 

I sighed. 

I kept telling myself over and over it was all right to go. It was all right to be selfish for once, trying to convince myself they would be looked after and weren't alone.