8. Fucking great

Nancy p.o.v

I felt numb, empty almost. A ringing in my ear. 

When the doctor was done with his talk the questions rolled off my tongue before I could stop myself. I wasn't the only one. Almost everyone was stunned by his words. 

I had no idea what lies we were more told. 

Was this really worth it? Was this worth leaving my family over? 

I saw Lexi looking at me, who sat rather relaxed on her chair for someone being told she was being turned into a baby again. 

I didn't want to worry her, so I did what I did best; put a mask on. Showing no signs of stress or worries. 

Slowly, the kids were picked up by their guardians, one by one. Soon, it was just me and Lexi in the classroom. 

"So, what do you think?" Lexi asked. I had no idea how to answer that question, a part of me wanted to speak the truth about all of this. 

But I remembered how devastated Lexi was when she found out about the whole programme and I didn't want her to feel like that anymore. 

I gave her an answer that she would like, that wouldn't agitate her, that wouldn't stress her out. "Well, they could have told us this before we agreed to this, but now I think about it I will now really get a childhood I always wanted."

Lexi nodded her head, agreeing with what I was saying.

"And you?" I asked back. Hoping she would be cool with all of this because you don't want Lexi against you. She could be a real pain in the ass then. 

"Well, I would have run away if I knew it was either this or stay with my parents. Only I do not think I can get out of this one, so yeah. Let us be babies again!" Lexi fake cheered. 

I couldn't help but chuckle at her response. She had a strange sense of humor. 

Right then two guardians walked in, it was Marsha and some other guy I haven't seen yet. I assumed it would be Lexi's guardian. He seemed nice. 

They both asked for us to come and follow them. 

I tried to keep my nerves down by talking to Lexi, just to keep my mind off things. To not be thinking about the programme, about shrinking, about the procedure, about never seeing my family again, about never seeing my siblings again. 

Never see my siblings again. 

I was getting numb again but tried not to show it. 

The thoughts were swarming in my head making a big mess, so big I didn't even notice our guardians were talking to us. I let Lexi speak for us as I did not know what they just said. 

"Yes, yes we know! Change into the uniforms and fold our old clothes, we got it!" Lexi roared when we stepped inside our room, where a girl was crying on her bed. "Gosh, they are so annoying, telling us what to do!" She complained. 

Maybe it wasn't so smart to let her do the talking. I did not want to be locked up with an angry Lexi. Don't get me wrong, Lexi is my best friend, my only friend, but I have to admit she had her flaws.  "I think they are only trying to look after us, you know, to be a good guardian and all." I tried to soothe Lexi. 

It wasn't a lie, I could see how some of the people working here were looking out for us, but I still wondered why this place was so heavily guarded and why I felt like I was locked up rather than being helped. 

It was then Lexi noticed the other girl too. 

"Looks like we are not the first to arrive in our room," Lexi remarked. The girl turned around and wiped her tears away. "Talking about a depressing atmosphere. Jeez, I thought we would leave that behind us when entering this building."