11. Ice cream

Diana p.o.v

"Goddammit, why the fuck does this fucking thing not do what I want it to do?!" I growled out of annoyance. I looked several times at the manual but it just wouldn't fit. I sighed grabbing my hair in frustration. 

Then Laura peeked around the corner of the threshold. "Hey handsome, I know you are not bob the builder but can you keep your voice down Elora does not like your raised voice."

"I know, I know. I am sorry." I stood up and looked at the mess I had made. 

"Shall I take a look at it?" 

I chuckled. "That would really hurt my pride, but I am at lost so... do whatever." I plopped down on the big armchair and wiped the sweat from my forehead. 

"Okay let me see." And there she goes. My wife had it all figured out within minutes. Minutes! After twenty minutes the whole crib was standing in all its glory. 

"You know, sometimes I hate you." I grumbled. Not being fully sincere about what I said, but still feeling sour about the whole ordeal. 

"Oh I know baby, that's why I have ice cream for you downstairs." Laura caressed my cheeks as a small childish smile settled on my lips. "Cookie dough?" 

"Yes, cookie dough." I sprung up as she confirmed. 

"With the right peanut butter?" Now Laura laughed.

"Yes with the right peanut butter." 

"Never mind, I love you so so so so so much. See you downstairs," Then I hurried to the kitchen. Call me a child, a baby, or a toddler but I like my ice cream, especially with my peanut butter. I would do anything for you if you have my favorite ice cream with my favorite peanut butter. 

Just before I wanted to engulf myself in my favorite snack, I saw our daughter had escaped to the backyard. I felt guilty. Elora had probably enough of my yelling and found peace outside. I opened the back door and walked up to her as she was swinging on her swing. 

"Hey my little monkey, how is it going here?" Elora turned her head and I could see her analyzing my face, searching for any anger or irritation. Right then I felt bad about the way I had acted and didn't think of my daughter. 

Moments like these I was once again confronted with the fact Elora was a child from the system who was let down over and over again. 

Once she saw I wasn't upset in any way she smiled and replied, "Good mom, just swinging." 

"Hmm, just swinging?" I carefully run my hand through her hairs. "I am sorry I yelled." I apologized. I knew she wouldn't bring it up to prevent making me upset again, but I wouldn't. 

"It's all right mom." 

I hummed again, wanting to disagree but I knew I wouldn't get through that little head of our daughter so I let it be. 

"How about a nice snack for my little monkey?" Now I saw a smile settling on Elora's lips, which brought me great joy and relief. 

"Snack? What kind of snack?" Elora asked. 

"Well, you will have to come inside if you want to know." 

"Okay," And with that, she stormed off to the kitchen. She really was a daughter of mine. 

When the three of us were enjoying our little snack time, Laura and I had to also sit down Elora for what was about to come. Luckily Elora understood we weren't going to replace her with our new baby girl. In fact, Elora asked us many questions about how to be a good sister. Still I had my worries. 

I was afraid Elora would still feel as if she was put aside when the baby would come because let's be realistic a baby needs much attention. I worried Elora wouldn't understand we can't give her as much attention as before and therefore felt replaced. 

Marsha p.o.v

It was raining as I waited downstairs for the lucky couple. Last year they stood high on our list to adopt as well, but we had some slight concerns because they had just adopted a foster child and we were afraid it would be too much on the couple. 

This year during our meeting of discussing potential couples for adopting the children in our care they wanted to put them on the waiting list again, saying two years with their new daughter was still not enough. I and another colleague disagreed. 

In comparison to many other couples, they were way better prepared to welcome a new one into their family. Especially because they treated their daughter so well and were so considerate of their daughter's feelings and needs. 

Now I was glad I had put my foot down. I knew they were the perfect parents for Nancy. Laura and Diana were exactly what the poor girl needed, which was lots of love and attention. 

I smiled when I saw the car making its way through the gate. Shortly after they parked their car and ran towards me with their stuff as it became pouring harder and harder. 

"Come quickly, come quickly." I ushered them. Once we were all inside of the building we greeted each other. 

"It's good seeing you again Mrs. Matthews and Mrs. Brown." The whole morning I had to remind myself of the two last names. I was already bad with names, I blame my age, but I still wasn't used to married couples with different last names. I guess that is also to blame my age as in my olden days it wasn't very usual. Let alone same-sex marriage. 

"Oh please call us Laura and Diana, I feel so old when people call me Mrs." Laura laughed. 

I laughed as well. "All right, Laura and Diana, please follow me as there is someone ready to meet you two." 

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!