The Perfect Opportunity

Melody sat outside of the museum, waiting patiently for Sherlock to emerge again. As he pushed open the door, she looked up and smiled. He smoothed out his shirt and smiled back at her.

"Right then. I do believe it's dinner time, and I fancy fish and chips from the stand down from the flat." Mel informed him.

"Well I suppose we should make our way there. Can't have you going hungry, can we?" Sherlock said before hailing a cab.

By the time they grabbed dinner and made it back to the flat, it was dark outside. They walked up to 221B, got a few things situated,  and sat together on the couch, finishing their food.

"Do you remember the first case you took me on?" Melody asked, popping a chip into her mouth.

"Of course, it was the case with the young hydraulic engineer. We would've had a solid resolution had that fire not caught before we arrived." Sherlock said. "But you were brilliant. That's when I knew you had promise."

She smiled warmly up at him and watched as he mindlessly ate his own serving of fish and chips. "I was so terrified that I would mess something up on that case. But you were so confident that I knew I couldn't disappoint you or I'd feel like a complete ass."

Sherlock’s baritone laugh filled the room, causing her to laugh as well. "Well, now that I'm thoroughly impressed, and my family is rather taken with you, I believe I should be the one worried about making an ass of myself." He assured her.

She stood up and took the now empty paper from him and walking to the kitchen to toss them in the bin. "Well, you seem to be doing alright so far." She turned back around, and stumbled a bit when she was met with Sherlock’s chest directly in front of her face. She looked up at him wide-eyed as he steadied her by placing his hands on her hips.

"I should certainly hope so. I'd rather not muck up the best thing I have going for me." He said lowly. One of his hands moved up to the side of her face, softly caressing her cheek.

She blushed deeply as her hands rest on his chest. "Nah. You're quite stuck with me, I'm afraid, Mr. Holmes. " she quipped.

"Far be it from me to complain about that." He murmured before pressing his lips softly on her own. The kiss was gentle, and both of them closed their eyes, leaning into it. His hand slowly moved from her cheek, to the back of her head,  and he used that opportunity to pull her closer and deepen the kiss. She twits her hands around his collar, losing herself in the moment.

When they finally part, Melody looked up at him breathlessly. "You're getting quite good at that." She said with a smirk.

"Well, I've got someone I rather enjoy practicing with." He informed her.

"I knew John looked a bit disheveled the other morning when I came upstairs." Melody teased.

Sherlock rolled his eyes and fave her one last peck on the lips, before pulling away. "Very funny, darling. Now, we should head out. John should be home soon, and we need to check on my investment I made earlier. Perhaps well have some information by now." He grabbed his coat and scarf, pulling them on as he spoke.

"Homeless network?" She asked, following suit.

With a nod, he led the way down the stairs and to the front door. A taxi pulled up outside 221B, and John stepped out, just as Sherlock and Melody emerged from the flat. A lone female sat outside against the gate.

"Spare change. Any spare change?" She asked.
Sherlock walked straight up to her.
"Alex Woodbridge didn’t know anything special about paintings." John said, approaching Melody.
"And?" Sherlock asked.
"And?" John echoed in confusion.
"Is that it? He had no habits, no hobbies, no personality?"
"Give us a chance. He was an amateur astronomer."