Friend

Melody looked up at the building as the trio approached it. It was a gigantic cathedral of steel and glass - the most high-tech, garish new building in the city. She was so entranced by the gleaming sign that read: 'SHAD SANDERSON'. Investment Bank., that she began to fall behind. The only thing that snapped her back to the present was a hand gently yet firmly wrapped around her wrist.

"Come along, Miss Hudson. Can't have you wandering off without me. I daresay I would be lost without you." He said with a small smile. She returned the smile, her arm slipping up around his own as they made their way back up to John, who was waiting patiently.

"When you said we were going to the bank..." John trailed off as they walked up the stairs.

Mel gave a small laugh as he looked at her, wide eyed.

They approached a corner office filled with corporate art and chrome and were assured that someone would be there in a moment. They all stood in silence, Melody between the boys with her arm still wrapped firmly around Sherlock's. After about two minutes, a man wearing a rather nice suit. This must have been Sebastian.

"Sherlock Holmes!" The man exclaimed, shaking Sherlock's free hand vigorously.

"Sebastian." The tall brunette replied curtly.

"How are you, buddy? How long's it been? Eight years since I last clapped eyes on you?"

"This is my friend John Watson. As well as Miss Melody Hudson"

There was a twitch at the corner of Sebastian's mouth as he spoke the next word. "'Friend'?"

John's response was lighting fast, and a bit disheartening. "Colleague."

Sebastian had a grip like a machine vice, causing John to grimace as they shook hands.

He then turned to Melody with a rather scuzzy smile. "And how did a lovely little bird like you end up with old Sherlock here?"

The woman plastered a fake smile on her face as she stuck out her free hand. "I'm Sherlock's friend. His best friend, actually." She said, squeezing the man's hand rather tightly.

Sherlock looked down at her with a mildly shocked expression. While John was quick to correct his relation to Sherlock, Melody seemed eager to prove to others that she and Sherlock were indeed not only friends, but apparently even closer.

"Right. Well then, grab a pew." Sebastian said, motioning to the two chairs.

Mel sat on the arm of the one Sherlock sat in, leaning ever so slightly against him.

A PA appeared at the door, and Sebastian offered them a drink, to which they all declined.

"You're doing well. Spending lots of time abroad." Sherlock mentioned passively.

"Well, some…" the man chuckled.

"Flying all the way round the world. Twice a month!"

Sebastian smiled. 'You're doing that thing." He looked to John with a smirk. "We were at Uni together, and this guy here - he had this trick he used to do."

"It's not a trick." Sherlock and Mel muttered at the same time. She placed a hand on his shoulder and clenched her jaw.

"He could look at you and tell your whole life story."