Show of a Lifetime

Once John left, Sherlock looked at Melody as he dried and put away the dishes. "I suspect he's on his way to get... uh."

"Sarah." Mel supplied, rinsing her last dish and handing it to him.

"Right. Sarah. So we have about fifteen minutes before we have to leave for the circus."

"I feel bad for crashing their date." She admitted, drying her hands.

"Well, technically John was going to crash ours, we just have an extra person now. What do you call it again? Oh! A double date." Sherlock said, smirking at her.

"Wipe that smug look off your face, Holmes. You still owe me a date."

"I fully intend to take you on one. But for tonight, this will have to do."

"I suppose." she said, stepping forward and wrapping her arms around his waist. "Fifteen minutes, eh?" she teased, winking and raising her eyebrows.

Sherlock's face grew red almost instantaneously. "I-uh-we-you uh." He sputtered.

"Relax. I'm only kidding." she assured. "I don't expect you to do anything you don't want."

He cleared his throat and nodded. "Right."

Mel realized his discomfort and stepped back, removing her arms. "I'm really sorry, Sherlock. I truly didn't mean to freak you out. I was teasing, and I should have been more mindful." she apologized sincerely.

His eyes grew wide and he reached out for her hand. "Melody, I'm not upset. You simply surprised me." he assured her. "You know that this is my first relationship, and I am simply not used to that type of teasing. I just need you to be patient with me. I promise one day I won't be so surprised. Just bear with me." He said, pulling her close.

She nodded, still ashamed of herself. "I'm still sorry." she said as he pulled her to him, her face pressed to his chest.

"I know. But I don't want you to be. I don't want you to ever feel like you have to apologize to me."

"Patience?" she asked.

"Patience." He agreed.

After another minute, Mrs. Hudson knocked on the doorframe and they stepped apart. "Come in." they both called.

Mrs. Hudson entered with a plate full of chocolate chip scones. "I brought you a plate of scones. I hope chocolate chip is alright."

"That's perfect, mum. Thank you." Mel said taking the plate from her mother and kissing her on the cheek. "We're getting ready to go meet John and Sarah for a date. We'll probably be back a bit late."

"Have fun, dears! Do be safe."

"Will do. Thanks again for the scones, mum."

"Thank you, Mrs. Hudson." Sherlock said with a small nod.

As Mrs. Hudson descended the stairs, Mel turned and placed the plate in the microwave. "Right. Ready to go?"

Sherlock nodded. "When you are. I'll grab your coat." he offererd.

"Thank you."

Even though Sherlock had assured her that she had no reason to be sorry, she could tell that there was a slight air of tension between them now. She cursed herself for being so forward with her teasing.

The entire cab ride to their destination was silent, neither of them wanting to break the silence first.

When they arrived, Melody pointed out that John and Sarah had just entered. Sherlock offered her his arm, which she took with a small smile. They made their way inside towards the box office, where John and Sarah stood, trying to collect their tickets.