Confusion

"Where are we going?" John asked as he hurried to catch up with the pair. He noticed that Mel had her arm wrapped through Sherlock's and they were walking as closely as they could.

"Northumberland Street is five minutes walk from here." Sherlock explained.

"You think he’s stupid enough to go there"

"No, I think he’s brilliant enough. I love the brilliant ones - they’re so desperate to get caught." He corrected.

"Why?"

"Appreciation! Applause! Take your pick. They want attention, dear, John!"
She stepped away from Sherlock and jumped up on the low wall, spreading her arms, theatrically. Sherlock held onto her hand as to keep her from falling off. "At long last, the spotlight!"

"That’s the frailty of genius, John - it needs an audience." Sherlock finished.

John, looked up at him and smiled cynically.

"Yeah."

Sherlock looked around the bustling town, people hurrying everywhere.. "This is his hunting ground. Right here in the heart of the city.  We now know the victims were abducted, and that changes everything. Because all of his victims disappeared from crowded places, from busy streets - but nobody saw them go. They walked out of their lives with a complete stranger, and trusted him right to the moment they swallowed his poison. He can do the impossible, this one - he needs to take a bow."

"If it is a ‘he’. The pink lady wrote “Rachel”..." John mused.

"Yes. That’s odd. ‘Til we know who Rachel is, no point in speculating. Mustn’t theorise in advance of the facts." Sherlock conceded.

Melody squeezed his hand, causing him to look up at her he grabbed her waist and gently set her on the ground. She smiled warmly and thanked him. He offered his arm, and she looped hers through once again.

"Think, though, think! Who do we trust, even if don’t know them? Who passes unnoticed wherever they go? Who hunts in the middle of a crowd?" Sherlock stressed.

"Who?" Mel asked, looking up at him curiously.

"Haven’t the faintest. Hungry?"

"Starving." She informed him.

They turned and started striding on. John simply smiled at the two, shaking his head.

The trio entered a fairly shabby looking Italian
restaurant, where a young waiter was waiting to greet them.

"Hello, Mr. Holmes." He said, pointing them to a small booth.

"Thank you, Billy." Sherlock said, removing his coat and sitting down. Mel attempted to do the same, but got her arm stuck in her sleeve.

"Bloody hell." She mumbled. John came to her rescue and got her arm free.

"There we go." He said taking her jacket and placing it to the side with his own.

"Thank you, darling." She said, sliding into the booth next to Sherlock. John nodded his welcome as he slid in next to her.

"22 Northumberland Street. Keep your eyes on it." Sherlock instructed.

"He’s not just going to ring the doorbell, though, is he? He’d have to be mad." John mused.

"Well he has killed four people." Mel reasoned.

"... okay."

"Sherlock!" The owner of the restaurant, Angelo, boomed, delighted to see Sherlock. "Anything on the menu, whatever you
want, free! All on the house, you
and your date." He said, motioning to Melody.

"Do you want to eat?" Sherlock asked offhandedly.

"I’m not his date." Melody said,slightly confused.