Calm Before the Storm

The black car came to a screeching halt in front of the street leading down to the old tram tunnel. Melody saw the flashing blue lights, an ambulance, and several police men walking around. Mel thanked the driver, then sprint over to the scene. Paramedics wheeled out stretchers with covered corpses on them as she ducked under the tape and approached Dimmock.

"They out yet?" she asked him.

He turned to look at her and shook his head. "They're giving them a quick once over at the ambulance over there." He explained.

When she looked where he was pointing, she saw Sarah sitting in the back of an ambulance with a blanket over her shoulders. She wass obviously shocked, but didn't appear physically hurt. Just beyond was another ambulance where a paramedic was looking over John. Sherlock stood close by.

Mel nod her head and walked quickly past Sarah's ambulance to the one behind it.

Sherlock and John were side by side as the medic stepped away. Melody sighed in relief as they both looked at her.

"How did you get here so quickly?" Sherlock asked.

"Mycroft sent me off as soon as the call went out. I just arrived." she informed him. She gave him a hug, then turned to John, who looked a bit worse for wear. "I expect to hear everything tomorrow once you've gotten some rest." she said before giving him a tight hug.

"Come on. Let's get back to the flat. We can all get some rest now that the case is over." Sherlock suggested.

Melody nod and took John's arm as they walked. "You feeling alright?" she asked as they approached Dimmock.

"Yeah, I'll be okay. Just small bump on the head, and I'm a bit miffed that Sarah probably won't want to date me anymore." he admit.

"Don't worry, John. You'll find a girl who can handle the antics that Sherlock drags us through."

They now stood in front of Dimmock, and Sherlock spoke very casually. "We'll just slip off. No need to mention us in the report."

"Mr. Holmes..." the inspector started.

"I have high hopes for you, Inspector. A glittering career."

"I go where you point me."

"Exactly."

Sherlock turned and began walking away, and Melody urged John to follow, assuring him she would be right there. She turned to Dimmock with a small smile.

"Inspector, I know that you were hesitant at first, but I want to thank you for trusting us. Trusting him. It means a lot. And I promise that if you ever need our help again, you can call us. If he doesn't answer, I will." she said.

"Thank you, Miss Hudson. I truly appreciate it. Now, you should probably go. Don't want to keep Mr. Holmes waiting." he said with a quiet chuckle.

Melody nod and jogged over to where Sherlock and John stood waiting. "Ready, to go home?" she asked.

Both boys nod in agreement and she motioned for them to lead the way.

The next morning, the trio sat at the dining table, staring at the decoded message. 'Nine Mill Fore Jade Pin. Dragon Den Black Tramway'.

"'Nine Mill...'?" John inquired.

"'Million'." Sherlock supplied.

"Yes. 'Million'. 'Nine million for Jade Pin. Dragon Den Black Tramway'."

"An instruction - to all of their operatives in London. A message what they were trying to reclaim."

"A jade pin worth nine million pounds. Bring it to the tramway - their London hideout." Mel said in understanding.