Introductions

Karl curled up tighter under the sheets, groaning. He slowly opened his eyes and realized that he was no longer in his room. He sat up quickly and looked about.

The walls of his room were red, as were the floor, ceiling, rugs, chests, doors. Even the quilt on him was a variety of red hues. He stretched and hopped off of the bed, his legs buckling for a moment before he could gain his bearings. He gathered the fluffy comforter and wrapped it around him, humming with pleasure as the soft fabric touched his skin and warmed him.

His bare feet padded silently across the rug and Karl opened the door.

Natherbrick hallways met him, a labyrinth of tiled stretching out, columns marking each corner. Karl shivered, goosebumps crawling up his spine.

He wandered through the maze, examining each turn and wall, looking for any sign of a door.

Slowly, the cold hallways began to grow hotter and brighter, light flickering against the brick tiles. Karl began to run, looking for the source. Was there an end? Where was it? Where-

He burst into a room covered in vines. Puddles of lava and the occasional magma block dotted the floor, and the floors, ceiling, and walls were the same bricks as the hallways he had just passed through.

He waded through the mess of vines, careful to avoid the lava puddles. A moment ago, it seemed like Karl was in a palace, strange as the hallways were, but now he didn't know where he was or what this place might be.

Suddenly Karl found himself in a tangle of vines. He squirmed, like a fly caught in a spider's web, struggling to break free. Red strings of gods-knows-what coiled around his wrists and limbs and tangled in his hair, and it seemed like every time he squirmed he became more helpless.

Finally the vines snapped and Karl tumbled to the ground, inches away from lava. He scrambled to his feet and looked up.

The man stood at the bottom of a small flight of stairs, only two or three leading up to a platform. And on top of the platform stood the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

A large egg, crimson, polished, shining in the flickering light of the magma. Karl slowly climbed up the stairs and approached theEgg. He had heard of a crimson egg before, mentioned by Quackity during a date, but all memories flickered. Fuzzy. All Karl knew was the egg. Enchanting. Mysterious. Somehow familiar. He reached out to touch it-

An arm wrapped around his wrist and pulled him back. Karl looked up, into the face of a man as regal as the egg. Their charming smile sent chills up his spine.

"Hello Chronos. I kindly request that you step away from the Egg." Their voice was smooth and velvety, like water running over rocks. Beneath it Karl could sense the crackling of fire and the bubbling of lava, the mixture confusing yet intriguing him.

"My name is Karl. Whoever you're thinking of, it's not me," Karl answered slowly, and the man laughed.

"I know what your name is. But Chronos fits you so much better," he replied. "Now, come with me back to the halls. I don't want you in here, if you please."

Karl nodded and stepped away from the platform and took a step down the stairs, then paused. He looked around, yet he had completely forgot which way he had come from.

"Lost?" the man asked, and Karl nodded. "Here, let me show you the way back."

The two made there way through the room and into the labyrinth of corridors until they reached the familiar door that led to Karl's bedroom.

"Don't go wandering off next time," the man said, nodding curtly before turning in his heel and beginning to walk away-

"Wait!" Karl shouted. The man paused, looking back.

"I didn't get your name."

The man smiled. "Call me Braen."

Karl grinned softly. "Braen. Got it. Um, would you happen to know if there's anyhting to eat around here?"

"What would you like?"

"I dunno... maybe an omelette?"

Braen gagged, covering his mouth for a second, then straightened. "Might as well lop off my right arm and serve it on a silver platter. We don't eat eggs around here, Chronos."

Karl raised an eyebrow, but shrugged. "Mk then..."

"Toast?"

"No, thank you," the purple-hooded man replied. Braen shrugged. "But I have a question. Where are we?"

"My empire, formerly known as the Badlands."

"We're in the Eggpire?"

Braen nodded.

"But that's ruled by the Egg, not you," Karl said slowly.

The red-clad host winked and said nothing more, but left. Karl watched him disappear into the darkness of the hallways, and he closed his door.