Realization

Tubbo finished rubbing the salve on Tommy’s wings and stepped back. "He's ready. Are you sure that you want to do this? I mean... if Dream finds out, what will he do to Tommy? To us?" he asked, and the man in the corner shrugged.

"Those wings may be what Avian's call freedom, but right now they're his prison. We get rid of them, Dream leaves him alone."

"You know Dream doesn't work like that. Tommy will be punished, either way," the goat hybrid replied.

"Do you have a better idea? I want Tommy to be free. I won't allow my son to be an exotic pet that Dream keeps in a cage."

Tubbo sighed. "Fine. Then we better do this quick, Phil, the potion will wear off soon."

Phil crossed the room to the table his son laid on, inhaling sharply. He gripped the axe in his hand harder and slowly raised it. Tubbo backed away but his eyes remained unwavering as Phil lifted the blade high-

And Tommy shifted, a small squeak coming from him. Phil didn't know why.

"I can't," the older man whispered, and he lowered the axe to his side. "What's wrong with him? Why does he hate all of us so suddenly, what happened when he was with Dream? And- and Wil, too? They all came back... so messed up, so different. My family is falling apart. Me and Techno barely speak anymore."

Tubbo stayed silent as the man turned to him. "What's wrong with Tommy?"

"Nothing."

They turned to see Tommy on his stomach, his head turned to the side and staring at the far wall. His wings hung limp at his side. He looked... tired.

Tubbo rushed to Tommy’s side, kneeling and clutching the Avian's hand. Tommy stared at him.

Just like in the hospital.

When Tommy told Tubbo to let him go.

"I do know why I love Dream, though. He's good. He- he loves me back, I know it. Please, Tubbo. I know you're scared, and- and desperate-" he glanced at Phil. "You all are. And I understand, but you need to understand. Please let me go."

And this time Tubbo listened.

Phil began to protest as Tubbo stood and helped Tommy to his feet, but the two boys did nothing to listen. They brushed past him, heading for the door. But when they reached the threshold, Tommy stopped, turned, and ran straight for Phil.

The sudden embrace was warm, shocking, and Philza couldn't find it in himself to hug back. But he felt the love in it.

Tommy slowly slipped away.

Philza had missed his chance.

🪶

Techno and Ranboo and Niki left their seats as Tommy passed. "Toms-" Techno started as he noticed Tommy’s wings, still attached to his back.

Tommy smiled at him, his eyes empty.

He found himself back in the mansion, the sun setting outside the large glass windows.

And Dream, opening the door and spotting him with Tubbo.

Dream rushed up to him, smiling broadly. "Tommy! Great news! I finished the house, we can leave right now and make it there by sunrise. Wilbur’s already in the stable, preparing the horses."

Tommy grinned, his eyes lighting up, yet he said nothing.

"Just think. We'll only be a few miles from the Dream SMP. You can see Tubbo any time you want! There'll be a nice area to fly around. It'll just be you and me and Wil."