Chapter 3: The Red Flute Tavern (will be updated)

Viola rushed down the dirt road, clutching a hard music case to his chest. The village behind him became smaller and smaller. The summer sun beat down on him, and cicadas hissed all around him. Viola's tote bag was overflowing with music sheets, and a beanie rested on top of his head. Covering the black fuzzy ears that protruded out from his head. A blacktail was wrapped around his waist, hidden underneath his sweatshirt. Sweat ran down his forehead, and dust was kicked up behind him as he dashed down the dirt road. His round glasses were falling down the bridge of his nose; his clothes became more disheveled as he sprinted towards the tavern. The tavern was just coming into sites; patrons were bustling in and out of the doors. People who were walking towards the fishing town of Frostford waved at Viola. The small village took pride in its resident violin prodigy.

"Late again, Viola?" A gruff older man asked who was walking by, giving Viola a deep chuckle.

"Unfortunately, practice at campus ran later than usual!! I gotta go! I'm sorry! Helios is going to be pissed as is!" Viola replied, still running down the dirt road.

The Red Flute was etched onto a wooden sign that hung over the door. The place Viola and Helios called home for the past ten years. The top two floors of the tavern is an apartment. Dina, Fauna, Clematis, Helios, and Viola live there. Viola abruptly stopped in front of the bright red door, hunched over, resting his hands on his knees. He breathed heavily, drawing in as much air in his lungs as he could. Before Viola could even stand and reach for the door, it slammed open. Revealing an angry Helios who stood at the threshold.

"You're late," Helios replied, a scowl on his face. The apron he was wearing was littered with food stains from cooking, and his ears were covered in a chef's wrap on his head, "Come on, Fauna is waiting in the back; you both go on in fifteen."

"Yes, sorry!" Viola answered, running inside.

As Viola stepped through the threshold, he heard a branch break behind him. His ear twitched under his hat, and he turned around. His eyes scanned the edge of the forest. Choosing to ignore it, Viola stepped inside, following Helios. Inside, people were scattered all over, some were sitting along the bar, and some were seated at tables. Various televisions were lined on the walls, playing multiple different sports games. A stage was on the left edge of the tavern, and two microphones were hooked at the front and on the right side. The smell of beer and cigar smoke clouded the air, along with the smell of food coming from the kitchen. Dina was behind the bar, filling drinks, and she waved a hand to Viola as he walked by, giving him a kind smile. Viola waved back, flashing a toothy grin back.

"Viola, we saved you a plate of food! Make sure that you eat real quick before you play!" Dina called out as she poured a few shots for the people at the bar.

"I will!" Viola replied.

Helios quickly grabbed Viola's plate from the kitchen and then handed it to him, "Good luck out there; you and Fauna are gonna kill it," He told him, giving Viola an encouraging look.

Viola replied, "Thank you, I'll talk to you later."

Viola walked through the staff door to the backroom. Inside, Fauna was pacing back and forth. She was adorned in black leather pants and a white sequin backless halter top. Her shoes were a pair of black knee-high boots without a heel. An insert was placed inside them to accommodate for her hooved feet. Her antlers were cut and shaved down, and a wide fabric headband covered the nubs on her head. Fauna sighed in relief when Viola walked through the door. Her boots squeaked as she walked towards him, she took both of Viola's hands in her's, and Fauna pulled them towards her chest.

"Vee-Vee! Oh, thank god you're here! Eat quickly; we go on soon! Oh god, I'm so nervous!" Fauna stated, sweat beading down her face.

"Fauna, we practiced; we'll be okay. While I eat, drink some water and take a breath, okay?" Viola told her.