chapter 11

It's 3 days later and Sam and Bucky are picking up Steve from the hospital. 

 "You sure you got him, Steve?" Sam asks, referring to Bucky in Steve's arms, who has insisted that daddy carries him.

 "Yeah, I've got him, thanks." Steve says, carrying Bucky out to the parking lot. "Thanks for the clothes too."

 Sam had brought Steve a set of clean clothes to wear out of the hospital, just a simple t-shirt and jeans, but it beats the ripped and bloody uniform he arrived in.

 "Don't mention it, man." Sam says.

 "Look a' mine, daddy!" Bucky says, showing Steve his pajamas for what must be the 100th time today. He had insisted on wearing pajamas to pick Steve up, his Captain America pajamas to be precise. He was so excited to show daddy.

 "Yeah, they're awesome, baby." Steve says. 

 Bucky's huge grin lights up his whole face.

 They get in the Uber and go back to Sam's house. Steve spends the next hour patiently and intently listening to Bucky as he shows him all his clothes, right down to each and every sock.

 "That's great, Buck." Steve says.

 "We watch TV now!" Bucky says, grabbing Steve's hand and dragging him out to the living room.

 "Are you ever gonna give your daddy a break?" Sam asks Bucky as they walk past him.

 "No!" Bucky says, and Sam and Steve laugh.

 "I'm fine, Sam. He's just excited." Steve says.

 Bucky points Steve to the couch, and sits in his lap after Steve sits down. He hands Steve the remote. "Watch Tel'tubbies." Bucky says. 

 Steve turns on the TV, and it's already on a children's channel. Something with a big purple dinosaur singing a song to a group of kids is on.

 "No. Want Tel'tubbies!" Bucky whines.

 "I don't think that's on right now." Steve says.

 Bucky pouts and starts whining, squirming in Steve's lap.

 Sam comes in just then, and takes the seat next to them. 

 "Hey, Bucky." Sam says. "Look!" He says, pointing at the TV. "It's Barney! He's a dinosaur! You like dinosaurs, don't you?"

 "Uh-huh." Bucky says. "Din'saur?"

 "Yeah, he's a dinosaur! Let's watch!" Sam says, overenthusiastically. It works though, and Bucky is distracted watching the show.

 "Thanks." Steve says. "I was not ready to deal with a tantrum just yet."

 Sam chuckles. "He's pretty tame. I haven't seen any tantrums yet. Just a bit of whining now and then."

 They all watch the show for a little while, until Sam speaks up.

 "When do you think you'll be going back to Brooklyn?" He asks.

 "I'm not sure." Steve says. "I haven't been back to my apartment since the whole situation with Fury. Tony's been bugging me to move into the tower with everyone else, but I haven't decided yet."

 "Well, no rush." Sam says. "You guys stay here as long as you want."

 "I don't want to impose, Sam. We'll figure something out soon."

 "You're not imposing. I'd love to have you guys here. I have the extra bedroom just sitting there empty, anyway. And I'm not ready to say goodbye to this guy yet." Sam says, reaching over and tickling Bucky, who giggles and squirms in response.