Chapter Fourteen

Five briefly explained the plan to Luther and how they were gonna approach the two before getting there, with the boy making sure [Name] stayed in the van.

"But what if they start shooting?" The girl grouched, knowing it would happen even if it was dispersed as soon as it happened anyway.

"Will they?" Five shot back with an arched brow.

"Well.." she hesitated, averting her eyes.

"Then I wouldn't let it get to that. And you know you need to stay here, I don't want the Handler to know about your existence unless she already does. You're our trump card." She didn't know if she should feel complimented or not, so she could only pout, sighing in resignation.

"You know.." Five started once they reached their destination, stopping the car in front of an old barn and gazing up at Luther. "I never enjoyed it."

[Name] decided to stay quiet, knowing that this genuine conversation should stay between the two brothers.

"What?"

"The killing." As he gazed outside, "I mean– I was.. I was good at my work, and I–I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure."

"I think it was all those years alone. Solitude can do funny things to the mind." And she has to agree, she may not have experienced it directly, but seeing his memories, of how broken he was during all those years in the apocalypse.. it left a huge pang in her chest.

"Yeah, well, you were gone
for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough."

"It's the being alone that breaks you." And silence. This time with the three lost in their own thoughts, melancholic air surrounding them as [Name] gazed down at Delores in sadness.

"You think they'll buy it?" Luther decided to ask, diverting the topic back to what they came here for.

"Well," Five said as he exhaled, "what I do know is that they're desperate. It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh, not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back." He added.

"Well, I should hold onto it." As Luther took the briefcase beside the girl. "In case they make a move."

"Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, I've.. I've lived a long enough life, but.. you're still quite young. You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it." [Name] tightly closing her mouth to stop a snicker from escaping due to how awkward he said it, as if he was indeed an actual old man even if he's just technically eight years older than the rest.

They heard a car approaching, and then saw it pass and continued driving until it stopped in front of them, right next to a telephone booth.

"Here we go, if this all goes sideways, Delores.. I'm sorry," he said as he gazed mournfully at the mannequin currently in [Name]'s lap.

The two left the car, [Name] sneakily going to the passenger seat to see how the exchange went as she looked up at Luther blocking the door. She slowly slid down on the seat, making sure her head wasn't visible through the window but still enough for her to see that Five was still talking with the two.

"Are things gonna get dicey here?" Luther mumbled, seemingly trying his best not to be obviously talking to someone inside the car as he leaned at the door.

"Yeah, but don't worry about it too much." She simply answered, seeing Five walk back to them as Cha-cha started calling through the phone.

"What happens now?" Asked Luther, Five narrowing his eyes upon seeing the girl at the passenger seat who merely smiled sheepishly at him.