My Two Mates

A/N: So here's the thing. I was feeling extra adventurous today, and had this random thought of, "Hey I'm want to write a book about werewolves." Whether it was a good or bad idea, I'm not sure yet. But someday's you just gotta roll with the punches. Ha! Chapter is fairly short, there will be more to come, though. this is just setting the scene. Enough rambling. Feedback is forever appreciated, so don't be shy! Smile on, Emmy.

~~

My name is Kat. And that's ironic because I'm a werewolf, and wolves are closer to dogs than cats.

It wasn't my fault though. My mother loves cats. She hates being a werewolf, and even though cats make her itch and sneeze, she still thinks they are more cuddly than dogs or wolves.

She would be right.

All men, especially the wolven kind, sucked. They weren't cuddly or soft like kittens. No, they were wild, possessive and jealous. Just to be clear, this is me speaking from experience.

At nineteen, having been a full wolf for almost four years now, I still hadn't found my mate. All my best friends were hitched, or as we call it, mated, but not me. I wasn't even dating anyone who wasn't my mate.

Just single, angry Kat.

I'd gone through my entire pack of men. Not a one I hadn't hooked up with. Still no mate. Honestly, I was almost ready to give up the search. I pretty much hated men now. They were all just assholes in disguise.

Too many used you, abused you and got rid of you. It was a vicious cycle. And that was why I hated men. I wish I could just find myself a nice caring human male. That couldn't be so bad, right?

At least a human couldn't have the capability of killing my werewolf father. My father had been alpha of our pack until three years ago when a rogue wolf challenged him for the title. The wolf killed him when his back was turned; my father hadn't stood a chance.

Nobody dared to challenge the rogue turned pack leader. The man was an evil and hateful leader, no one would challenge him, or they and their loved ones would be tortured and left for dead. He was terrifying, I would know.

When he took over for my father, he came after me and tried to make me his mate. We are not mates, but he wanted to mark me as his own and make me his Luna.

I said no and it almost got me killed.

If it hadn't been for the fact that his beta walked into the room just as he was jumping at me, I wouldn't be here right now. For that I would have been forever indebted to him, except I slept with the beta instead. He said that the debt was repaid.

Anyway, the leader of the pack, Alpha Vaughn, had taken over many packs and killed many other alphas. Our pack was now the second biggest in the world. After one, the pack of a wolf named Archer.

According to one of my girl friends, who had been a rogue before joining the pack just before Alpha Vaughn took over, Archer was incredibly attractive and had many wolves pining after him. She thought I would like him, I was pretty sure I wouldn't though. Vaughn had challenged him to a duel for leadership of his pack. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Too many alphas had fallen by Vaughn's paws.

And I'm rambling.

Peeling myself away from the mirror, where I was putting the finishing touches to my hair and makeup, I straightened my clothing and grabbed my sunglasses from my dresser. Today was the day that would determine the fate of our pack. The day that could change the course of our lives for the better, or if Vaughn wins, like people hoped he wouldn't, then the worse.  

In under half an hour, the duel was going down. I didn't want to go see it, but I hated feeling helpless sitting up in my room. I thought that maybe there was something I could do to help Alpha Archer win. I hoped he did.

Descending the stairs, a heavy weight fell over my shoulders. I looked up slightly to see my best friend staring down at me, his arm draped over me.

"Jack," I chewed my lip, nervous about what was to come. "Where's Aidan?"

Aidan was his mate. The guy was like a peice of metal and stone. Jack, on the other hand, was a giant teddy bear. Personally, I loved having a gay best friend. I was able to talk to him, and it wouldn't ever be awkward with one of us liking the other.

"Aidan is already down there. He's trying to calm down his sister. She's freaking out about the duel."

I was astonished. Aidan's sister, Mary, was one of the most composed people I've ever met. "That doesn't sound like her."

Jack shrugged and shook his head. "Not everyone is a cold brick of stone like you, Kit Kat."

He winked and towed me towards the soft grass where the fight would take place. I sat down and looked up at the sky. It was such a pretty day, and my good mood was probably about to be ruined.

Suddenly, a warm glow ran through me, even as a cloud passed over the sun. My body began to tingle and my heart raced.

Two attractive men came around the corner of the building and my wolf flared up. 'Mate!' She screamed in my head.

'Which one?' I asked her, slightly panicked.

To this she didn't have an answer.

I stood straight up. Both men seemed to have the same reaction as I did, because they ran over to me with big strides. When they reached me they stopped and looked at each other, growling.

"She's mine." The taller man barked.

"No. She's mine." The other man had eyes black as night and they narrowed at the black haired man who stared back equally as intense.

I looked at each one, and when my eyes passed their faces, my wolf howled in delight and I distinctly heard her moan, 'Yummy.'

'Well? Which one is it? The black haired, or the black eyed?'

My wolf just purred in delight again and the tingly feeling spread across my midsection. 'Take your pick sweetie. You've got two mates.'

Well, wasn't she helpful?