The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Chapter Eight--The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Unknown POV

I growled at the display of affection that son-of-a-bitch Alpha showed towards the pretty little Kat. She was mine and I would make her my alpha female once I got rid of Archer.

And then there was another little nuisance. Conveniently dubbed as the beta of the pack. I grimaced and licked my chops. I would sink my jaws into his puny beta behind before he even saw it coming.

There were not going to get away this easily.

I would be alpha, they would be dead, and the scrumptious Kitten would be my mate.

The bushes rustled behind me and I turned away from the crumbling lighthouse. Another wolf, one more feral and almost lost to his sense of humanity appeared behind me. He bowed his head slightly, aware that I was in charge here.

His eyes betrayed his sense of loyalty and I bristled before masking it with a howl. I sent a silent promise to Kat that I would return and she would be mine before the full moon had come.

I wouldn't surrender her to either of those insignificant creatures. She would be mine.

My howl turned into a laugh as I mocked their little pack. They should've killed me when they had the chance.

Now they would pay the price.

Kat

A couple days later, I went to visit Seth. He was in the training room doing target practise because according to him, even if you're a wolf, you should still learn how to use a gun.

I sat in the corner of the dark room and watched him shoot. His muscles rippled and the kick back of the gun didn't faze him. He shot every bullet with a precise intention that each shot went straight to the heart of the target.

"Why do you use a gun when you have a perfectly working wolf?" Okay so maybe that wasn't the smoothest question, but I didn't know how else to put it.

I saw his shoulders lift in a shrug before he took another shot. "I was bitten rather than born a wolf. Used to be a police officer, protecting is my job. I didn't really want to give it up."

I nodded at him and asked, "How did you become beta, then?"

Two more shots were fired before the bullet chamber clicked on empty. He turned and set his gun down, coming to sit with me. "I don't know, I was friends with Archer while I was still serving the law and he would often come to me for favours. I knew what he was before I became one and I often worked alongside him. When I came to the pack it just kind of made sense, I guess. Especially since the beta had been killed in action the week before."

Hmm. "So how do you feel about the whole..." I gestured to him and me, my finger twirling in a circle. "Situation?"

He shrugged, "Honestly, I try not to think about it. I can't decide whether I'd rather you choose or let the moon decide."

"Archer said the same thing."

Seth nodded and looked away in thought, scratching his jaw. I took a moment to study the features that he had schooled into a closed expression. In that moment, I saw his inner struggle between anger and acceptance, and the fine line between the two.

I was honestly terrified for what was to come. There was less than twenty-five days left, and I had to keep reminding myself that I was losing time. As Seth was quiet, I thought about my life before I met Archer and Seth.

I was lonely if I'm being honest. I was with so many guys that I can't say there was much of me left to give. There wasn't much left of myself either. Just a small ball of self-loathing and despair over everything. My father. The fact that everyone around me was mated. The fact that I wasn't. The fact that my mother never talked to me anymore because I reminded her too much of my father.