Can't Stand Losing

"I reject you." I stated firmly. "I, Katherine Willows, reject you, Archer Grey, as my mate."

His eyes narrowed into slits and the green eyes his eyes shone brightly in the dying sunlight. I saw his hands clench into fists, and he stood stiffly, on end. "No."

"What do you mean no? I'm doing this for you!" I stood straight as a board and locked my eyes with his, challenging him to look away first. The tension was palpable in the air, and the wind cut through it like a knife.

"Just what I said. I've waited a long time to find my mate. I'll wait it out. I don't care if I die. But I'll be damned if I give you up before then."

Okay then. If he wants to play by the rules...

"What if I don't choose by the full moon, huh? Then what? Your pack loses either it's alpha or beta! Either way, that's a huge loss and I know none of my people are up to the task of becoming either of those! Not so soon after we have assimilated. Just face it!"

Archer's face softened and then turned murderous. His green eyes turned black and I could feel him fighting to keep his wolf in check. "I. Don't. Care."

"You don't care about your pack? Because that's pretty insensitive. They need you dammit!" I was practically screaming at him and my wolf was whimpering at me to stop.

Archer threw his hands up in the air and howled. He was shaking vigorously and I could tell he was about to morph. I stepped backwards a bit just in time for his human form to waver in front of me. By the time I had blinked and looked back, his wolf was already sprinting into the woods. I admired his sleek coat of black fur and the rippling muscles beneath. He howled as he ran and suddenly he had disappeared into the undergrowth.

"Argh!" I was beyond pissed now. I finally try to do something right for a change and I royally screw up. Why do things never turn out the way I need them to?

'Maybe because it isn't your choice to make you half wit!' My wolf roared angrily at me. I felt her rear up and give me a slight kick. 'You're an idiot, Kat. You can't let him go that easily. You need to be patient and roll with the punches.'

That was one of the longest speeches I've heard her make.

I mind-linked Archer, 'Hey I'm sorry about what I said. I was angry and not thinking straight. Come back and lets talk this over.'

I felt him shut me out a moment before opening back up. 'Meet me at the old lighthouse.'

I replied quickly and morphed into my wolf form. Hopefully there was a blanket there that I could throw on over my body. I took off in the directions he told me to run. Eventually I made it and looked around the dilapidated building. There was no water around it, save for the trickling of a small stream. What good was a lighthouse in the middle of a forest?

"Kat!" I heard Archer's voice from above, in the lighthouse. I looked towards him and saw that he was dressed in a pair of pants. He must keep a pair there for times like this.

Right, because he lures naked women here on a daily basis.

His head bobbed and disappeared, only to reappear moments later strolling casually through the open door. I took a moment to admire his bare muscled chest, complete with bulging biceps and rock hard abs.

Thankfully with my eyes black as always when I'm in wolf form he couldn't see my direction of view. Which was very nice, in case you were wondering.

He handed me a ratty white shirt and turned around like a gentleman so I could morph. My naked body suddenly hit the grass and the result was a tickling of my legs against the long grass.