4. Adjusting To Life

"Hey, Amelia. Do you want to go and check out the animals before we eat lunch?" Natasha questioned as she walked downstairs, she had put all of the bags of shopping upstairs out of the way and she decided she would worry about the unpacking later.

Amelia looked up excitedly. from the colouring book that she was scribbling in. "Yeah!" she agreed cheerfully.

"Come on then,  дорогой," Natasha said as the Russian word just rolled off her tongue.

Amelia furrows her eyebrow slightly and tilts her head in confusion, but doesn't say anything as she stands up and takes hold of Natasha's hand while she leads her outside of the house.

"Wow!" Amelia suddenly exclaimed, looking over to the field to see the animals. "Natasha, look at the horses!" she said amazed.

Natasha smiled and nodded her head. "I can see them,  маленький," she said.

Once again, Amelia cocked her head again in confusion at the unfamiliar word that Natasha had called her.

"They are so big!" Amelia exclaimed.

"I know they are," Natasha said, pausing while she grinned. "Hey if you look to the field over there, you can see the sheep," she said as she pointed her finger over to the far field. Amelia followed her gaze to where the redhead gestured towards and gasped. "And if you look over on the other side, there are the cattle," she added.

"Wow, I have never seen sheep before!" Amelia confessed as she stared over at the field in the distance. "Clint and Laura have so many animals!" she said dramatically.

"They sure do, дорогой." Natasha agreed.

"Natasha?" Amelia questioned curiously.

Natasha looked down at the brunette girl who looked at her inquisitively. "Yes, Amelia?" she responded.

"Wha- What does that word mean that you called me?" Amelia asked as she looked up at the woman confused.

"дорогой?" Natasha asked.

Amelia nodded her head slightly and kept a confused frown on her face. "Yeah. What does that word mean?" she wondered.

"Okay, well Дорогой is Russian for sweetheart and that's my first language since that's where I am from," Natasha explained.

"Oh, okay," Amelia said as she nodded slowly in understanding. "What about the other one word? What does that mean," she wondered.

"Маленький?" Natasha questioned the brunette, who nodded and looked slightly confused again. "That means little one," she told her.

"I like that word," Amelia said as she smiled and then paused before she spoke again. "Natasha?" she questioned.

Natasha looked down amused at the eight-year-old who was full of questions today. "Yes, Маленький?" she asked, wondering what question the young girl would ask now.

"Wha- What can I call you?" Amelia asked curiously.

"What do you mean?" Natasha asked curiously.

"I know your name is Natasha, but can I call you something else? Natasha is really long to keep saying all the time," Amelia told her dramatically. "Can I call you Tasha?" she wondered.

"If you would like to, детка," Natasha said as she smiled and saw the look on Amelia's face. "Another Russian word. It means baby," she explained.

"Ready to head back inside?" Natasha wondered after they had spent some time outside with all the animals. "I don't know about you, but I'm pretty hungry right now," she told the child dramatically.