7 | road to bahrain

"I got you a surprise, open the door"

I looked at my phone in confusion, wondering what was the reason behind the message. I walked quickly to the door, eager to learn about this 'surprise', and I opened it in a swing. A very smiley Charles jumped and said 'surprise'; I giggled in shock, even though I saw he sent the message, I thought maybe it was something to eat or whatever. I embraced him in a tight hug, as he chuckled with his head buried in my hair.

—What are you doing here, Leclerc?—. I said in a pitched tone, not believing my eyes. But of course, with these boys, you never know.

—I passed by Paris before heading to Monaco for the weekend, and I remembered you were staying here! I wanted to surprise you.

—You certainly did! This is amazing, come on in!—. I cheered, and he obeyed. We entered the little apartment and made our way to the living room.

—This is such a pretty apartment, how's Paris treating you?—. Charles asked as he sat down, and looked at the view in awe. I guess that is the effect Paris has on you, even though you've been here thousands of times.

—Thank you so much, I can give you a tour later on. And, Paris—. I sighed. —It's been amazing, though I've barely had time to really see things, I've been the happiest. And even worse, I cannot speak French even if my life depended on it—. I laughed at myself, and he joined me.

—I could teach you any day!

—I actually thought about asking you or Pierre to help me out, cause I'll be here for a year and I don't want to make a fool out of myself.

—Sure! Whenever we have free time in between races we can practice—. The Monegasque cheerfully suggests, and I nod.

—Thank you, Charles! Do you want something to drink? I have cold beers in the fridge.

—Uhm, I think I'll have to say yes—. He giggles, and I stand up moving gracefully to the little kitchen that was visible from the living room where we were sitting down. I grabbed one of the Corona bottles I found in a store the other day. I open it and go back to the couch, handing it to Charles. He muttered a "thanks" and gave me a warm smile, and then gulped almost half the bottle.

—Wow, you were thirsty—. I laugh, and he does too, but his cheeks flush in embarrassment.

—I'm just really nervous, with testing starting next week and soon the races. I feel a huge weight on my shoulders.

—Hey—. I say as I place a hand on his shoulder. —You're an amazing driver, you got a lot of talent, and sure, last year's car wasn't the best, but you pushed it to the max, I think you will absolutely crush it with this new car!

His eyes meet mine, and they shrink because he smiled with his mouth closed, a mixture between being thankful and doubtful.

—Thank you, Cam, that's really comforting to hear.

—It's just the truth Charles, I see how passionate you are for the sport. It is really inspiring the fact that talent doesn't cloud the perspective you have of working every day towards your goal. I just think you need to trust yourself, and always do your best, and the results will come—. I continued with my hand on his shoulder, he lowered his gaze and nodded.

—I guess I have trouble with confidence, it just never feels like I'm good enough, you know? I have big shoes to fill.

My heart ached when I heard the last sentence, he almost said it in a whisper. He was now sitting looking towards the front, with his arms resting on his lap, and his head lowered as he stared at the floor. I scooted next to him, and extended my arm to surround his shoulders, he tensed up at the beginning, not wanting to open completely, but then he relaxed.