Lu-Pining for Your Purrr-Fection: Chapter #6 - Meow at the Moon

Stiles woke up and stretched surprised when he was met with his bed beneath him and not the grass. He frowned slightly, disappointed that he didn't get to say goodbye to the wolf, but he glanced over at the nightstand to see his collar sitting there and grinned. He quickly got up and got ready for school before deciding to attach the collar to his backpack like a keychain. He knew he wouldn't be able to wear it again unless his dad helped him, and he hadn't told anyone else about shifting except his dad. Well, his dad and the wolf. Of course, Malia also knew after the purring incident in the hallway. He got to school on time for once and took a seat in the second row of his first class.

🐾 🐺 🐾🐺 🐾

Derek made sure that Stiles had gotten into bed safely and helped put the collar on the nightstand before disappearing. He stayed shifted until he was home again. Exhausted, he fell into bed with a grin on his face and started trying to figure out how to tell Stiles that he and the wolf were one in the same. He drifted off, feeling calmer than he had in a long time.

In the morning Derek was up and ready to head to school much earlier than usual. He strolled into the lecture hall surprised to find Stiles already there and as he sat down, he noticed the collar attached to the student's backpack. That made Derek smile as he took a seat at his TA desk.

Professor Levi droned on longer than usual and Derek noticed that Stiles would fiddle with the collar every now and then. It seemed like a sort of stimming which Derek understood. As he watched, Derek couldn't seem to get over the way those long fingers enticed him, drawing him in. His wolf sure loved the idea of those fingers running through his fur.

Stiles didn't notice Derek watching but he paused when Derek spoke to him as he left the lecture hall. "I'm guessing your cat didn't like the collar?"

Stiles glanced at Derek, clearly surprised that he was talking to him. This was made even more evident when the amber eyed man, looked behind him to see if someone else was possibly Derek's intended addressee. "W-Who me? Oh, um yeah. I mean no. I mean he loved the collar but wanted me to hang onto it for him," he blurted out in a stammering manner.

Derek thought it was absolutely adorable, not to mention once again something he found endearing about the guy. Derek wanted to tell him as much but before he could say anything else, the brown haired girl, Malia, grabbed Stiles's hand and led him out of the lecture hall, a parallel of the last time. Stiles went willingly and it made Derek wonder if he was reading things wrong somehow.

As a cat, Stiles had out right admitted what he felt for Derek but now, faced with Derek in person, he seemed hesitant. That simply wouldn't do but there wasn't much else to be done right then. So, he just watched as the two students walked down the hall, getting further and further away from the room and from Derek. Derek allowed his shoulders to sag slightly before turning away, meaning he didn't see the curious backward glance that Stiles shot his way.

🐾 🐺 🐾🐺 🐾

Stiles was at his desk in his room working on his homework when he got a text from his dad.

[Dad]
Hey kiddo. I got the late shift and won't be home until early morning. I know you're a college man now, but you still live under this old man's roof. So I'm just letting you know. Plus, I don't want to organize another rescue mission if you get stuck somewhere.

He smiled even as he rolled his eyes and sent a text back.

[Stiles]
Hey Daddio. No worries. Also I'm taking note that you called yourself an old man for once. Yeah I am in college but that doesn't mean I don't want to know when you'll be home dad. I love you. Be safe.

Stiles sat his phone aside and went back to his homework. He was only slightly disappointed his dad wouldn't be back. The lack of his dad's presence meant no wearing the collar. Speaking of the collar, Stiles went over to his backpack to retrieve it. He wanted to see how it would fare as a bracelet, decidedly pushing aside thoughts of wearing it as a choker even while human. That was something to think about for another day. He reached for the loop where the collar was attached, but upon closer inspection, Stiles realized the collar was no longer attached to his backpack. He took a steadying breath, assuring himself that it didn't mean anything. It probably just fell off when he jostled his bag coming inside from his jeep. So, Stiles began to search for the collar, sure he would find it.