Lu-Pining for Your Purrr-Fection: Chapter #8 - Barking Up the Right Tree

Note: Text Message Name Key

Malia: Catch_Them_Mal
Stiles: Paw_Some_Stiles
Lydia: Red_Queen_Bee
Allison: Allie_Cat
Isaac: Is_This_Luv

🐾 🐺 🐾🐺 🐾

"Miss Tate?" Derek addressed Malia after class Monday morning.

Malia's eyes widened a little, but she walked over to Derek's desk. "Yes, Mr. Hale?"

Derek waited until the majority of the students had left, as well as the professor before looking at Malia. "I want to talk to you about Stiles."

"O-Oh? Well, you see the reason he's not here is hard to explain but I promise it's a good reason or I would've kicked his ass and made him come. Not that I'm a violent person but you see–" she rambled.

Derek gave her a small smile, her rambling very much like Stiles's rambling. "Malia?"

She blinked at him and cleared her throat. "Huh?"

"He's not in trouble and neither are you, but I know you're the person he's closest with and therefore, I need your help with something," he explained.

"Really?" she asked curiously. "What would that something be?"

"Meet me in the cafeteria at noon?"

Malia smiled and nodded. "See you then."

🐾 🐺 🐾🐺 🐾

[Catch_Them_Mal]
Hey Stiles?

[Paw_Some_Stiles]
?

[Catch_Them_Mal]
I won't be coming over for lunch today. I know I said I would, but something came up.

[Paw_Some_Stiles]
Oh? Well, I understand. I'll still see you after classes, right?

[Catch_Them_Mal]
Hopefully yes! ツ

"What's the verdict?" Derek asked and took a bite of his salad.

"He accepted it," she replied before setting her phone down and digging into her pasta. "So, you have a plan?"

Derek nodded and swallowed before speaking. "Yes. See, Stiles seems to think that I have no interest in him and that couldn't be further from the truth," he admitted quietly. "I really like him and have for a while, but I first met him in our shifter forms. I got to know him as a wolf but when he told me how he felt about me, even though he didn't know it was me, I had no idea what to say or do. All I knew was I wanted him to know that it was me, but the moment he put two and two together, he assumed I was trying to let him down easy." Derek sighed, his shoulders sagging.

Malia reached over and placed her hand on Derek's, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Don't take that too much to heart. Stiles has a tendency to self-deprecate when it comes to things that he has his heart set on. He's liked you for a very long time and as hopeful as he was, there was always a part of him that didn't think he would ever catch your eye."

Derek looked at their hands and then back at Malia. "Well, I want to show him how wrong he is about that, and I would appreciate your help."

Malia tilted her head. "Did making you jealous work?"

"You mean taking his hand and leading him out while I was watching?" he mused.

Malia nodded with a smug smile. "Yep," she said, popping the p.

"I mean I wasn't happy about it that's for sure."

"So, that's a yes?" she asked with a grin.

Derek laughed at her excitement. "Yes."