ONE

Bailey Sinclair was a normal eighteen year old girl. She never got into any drama, and she never let out any secrets. People like that about her.

She always kept quiet.

Bailey had a decent life. She had a good friend group, a caring boyfriend, good grades, many people liked her, and she was a great athlete doing track and field throughout high school.

What more could a girl want?

It was Sunday night, and Bailey wanted to spend some time with her boyfriend. The girl came back from the bathroom, heading inside his room.

It was quiet. Too quiet. Looking around the room she was faced with nothing. She held her breath, not wanting to make a sound.

Hearing a floorboard creak she turned in shock. Bailey screamed loudly, which caused the figure to scream as well.

She was quick to punch them in the face. "Fuck! What the fuck!" The person groaned loudly, holding their hands to their nose.

Hearing the familiar voice, the girl relaxed. "Oh shit Why would you do that, Stu!"

Stuart or Stu Macher. Bailey's all time favourite person, also known as her boyfriend. Being the idiotic person he is, he thought it was a good idea to scare her.

"I didn't know you would throw a punch!"

"What?" Bailey looked at him like he was a crazy person.

"You are very strong for someone who mostly uses her legs to run. Did you know that?" He huffed, rubbing his nose softly. 

"I was taught self-defence."

"Clearly."

"I'm sorry. Come here." She felt bad, taking him in her arms they shared small kisses. "Forgive me?"

"No."

"Fuck you." Laughing, she pushed his face away, only to have herself being carried to Stu's bed.

"Oh, yeah?"

Bailey and Stu have been together for almost two years. Having met when they were kids, it was only their Junior year when Stu had confessed his feelings and vice versa.

They were at the age where they shared everything and did almost everything together. Stu was always there to help Bailey whenever she didn't want to converse with anyone.

He didn't pressure her into doing anything she didn't want. It didn't matter to Stu, he loved her for her. And she loved him just as much.

"I'm kidding. I love you." The two shared loving kisses, until Stu pulled away. "Did you want any snacks. I've been meaning to get some for a party I'm having sometime soon."

Bailey played with his hair, stopping momentarily. "Don't tell me you're gonna get shit-faced like the last time."

"Please. Me?" Stu scoffed, dragging out the last syllables of his words. "Never!"

Of course, Bailey knew otherwise. "Sure. But yes, fruit snacks please."

"As always, that all?" Earning a small nod, Stu kissed his girlfriend on the lips, then made his way around the room, looking for his car keys. "Well, I'm heading out now."

Bailey stopped him. "What, now? It's sorta late, isn't it?"

"Uh, nope. It'll be quick." He reassured her.

He rummaged through his drawers and his bag. "Shit, where are my keys?" For another three minutes, he still couldn't find his keys.

"Hey, it's okay. I'll go with you and we can take my car."

"No, it's okay. You can relax for tonight, I know you had a tough time during practice today."

"Okay, well at least take my car." She went to grab her keys from her bag, until Stu stopped her.

"Honestly, I think it's best just to use my own." He denied her request in a hurry.

"Geez." She was about to hand her keys off to Stu, however he had finally found his keys in his pockets.

"Got it! Wow." Stu turned to his girlfriend, a large smile on his face.

"Okay, just be careful. Don't do anything stupid."

"When have I done anything stupid?" He questioned stupidly.

"Literally one minute ago." She muttered, shaking her head. She gave him a look as he gave a mock salute, and left downstairs.

•••

One hour in, Stu was still not home. The girl knew the corner store wasn't too far from his house, considering he took his car. Turning off the TV, she made her way back to Stu's room.

"How long does it take to get snacks?" She questioned to herself.

She had gone outside for a while then went back to Stu's, heated some popcorn, and watched a movie. Bailey was bored and had nothing better to do. Stu had no siblings and his parents were almost never home.

It was sad, but sometimes it was helpful.

It was eerily quiet, the only noise audible was the short gusts of wind outside. This made the brunette, shiver causing goosebumps to form on her arms. Shuffling towards Stu's closet, Bailey pulled out one of his brown jumpers, putting it over her head. It was when she noticed a box in the corner of his closet.

Opening it, she had now wished she hadn't. Hearing the door slam shut, Bailey was quick to put the lid back on and push the box back to where it was. Her footsteps were heard as she quickly ran downstairs.

"You took your time." She pursed her lips, taking in his appearance.

"Hey!" Stu greeted breathlessly. "I know, I'm sorry. It was hard to decide between the drinks." He held up two drinks, and a bag full of snacks. "You look smokin' by the way!"

Even with dishevelled hair and a bit of messed up makeup, Stu always thought his girlfriend looked beautiful. "Did you go for a run or something?" He asked worriedly, knowing how late it was.

Bailey simply nodded. "Something like that." The girl took a longer look at him. "Are you okay, Stu?"

The boy grew confused at her words and intimidated at her stare. "Yeah, why?" He said, as he removed his shoes.

There was a long pause. The room was tense and it felt like Bailey's breath had been knocked out. She was at a loss for words. "You didn't get my fruit snacks." She eventually replied.

In realisation, he hung his head low. "I forgot. I'm sorry, but I'll make it up to you." Stu smiled cheekily, giving her a haste kiss. 

"It's okay." She smiled softly, grabbing his arm to walk towards the couch after he placed his keys down. "Let's just watch a movie."

What Bailey really wanted to know was why Stu was gone for so long, out of breath, sweaty, and smiling so bright. She was scared.

Not because she thought he was cheating, but because of the distinct scruffs of dirt and blood on his shoes. She didn't want to jump to conclusions, however she knew something had happened.

Something bad.

Bailey Sinclair knew, and Stu Macher had messed everything up.