|11|

Finals. The bane of your existence. But hey, it's the last day of tests, so afterwards you get a three week break. No homework. No people. No nothing.

Mina is flying home tomorrow and so is everyone else. You're the only one staying around because you don't really have anywhere to go back too.

So you click the last multiple choice button on your final test and submit it, having no fear that you failed. You studied your ass off for it. It was hard to find time to study though, because everywhere you went, Jean was there. There's no way you could just sit there with him in the same room and concentrate on homework. It would be impossible. You haven't talked to him in over a month and a half. You've been in the same place a few times, but you kept your head down. He always looked hurt and you wanted to avoid seeing that, because you know you're the reason for it.

You hope that he goes home for break and you can forget all about him for the next three weeks. Cleanse your system of him. Then maybe your heart will calm down. Just the meer thought of him sends it fluttering in your chest like a bird trapped in a cage.

A break from him would be nice...

~

Back at Sigma Chi again. You're ending the term just how it started. This time, you're going to try and enjoy yourself. Even if it's just a little.

"Here," Reiner brings you your drink, topped off with a straw. "I passed my finals because of you, ya know. I owe ya one."

You take a sip, finding it way stronger than he usually makes it. You cough and he pats your back, causing you to shrug off his touch and he takes a step back.

"I can't take all the credit," you smile weakly. "You're a smart guy, Reiner."

He chuckles. "I suppose if I try hard enough, I am. But you really bring it out of me. So we doing the same thing next term or are you cutting me loose to find my own way?"

You look at him with confusion. "Of course we're on for next term. Im getting my moneys worth of this."

His smile falters. "Right. I forgot coach was paying you."

"Shit. That came out wrong," you cringe. "Even if I wasn't getting paid, I'd still help you out. We're friends."

"Friends," he leans against the wall of the crowded hallway. "Right."

A person bumps into you, causing you to splash your drink onto yourself. You frown at the wet stain on your shirt and Reiner glances down as well.

"What a dick," Reiner stares down the guy who bumped into you.

You shrug. "It's a cramped area. It's not his fault."

"He could have at least stopped and apologized."

You take another sip of your drink. "It's cool... So why are you standing here with boring old me? Don't you have some drinking game to play?"

He shakes his head. "You're better company."

"I doubt that," you mumble and raise your eyebrows with skepticism.

Reiner stares at you, his eyes pouring into yours. You feel like squirming. Like he can see more than you want him too. Kind of how Jean looks at you.

"Yo! Braun! We about to go play pong! I need you on my team!" Some boy yells.

You laugh lightly. "Duty calls."

Reiner groans and pushes off the wall and slides past you. "I'll come find you after. Don't go running off."

"I'm not much of a runner," you shrug and watch as he walks down the hall.