023.

STILL MY CAMILO

summary: after casita fell, camilo's true self is shown

they/them pronouns used

fun fact: this concept was supposed to be used in the movie but it was scrapped! i wanted to write this out bc i love the idea of it

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━♡

casita was in scraps and pieces. dust surrounded the area. the place that was home to the madrigals for 50 years was gone. and mirabel was sat right down in the middle of it, holding onto the candle.

"mirabel!" julieta caught sight of her. she kneeled down to her height, holding up her head. "are you okay?"

mirabel didn't respond, wearing a frown on her face. she felt useless. she felt guilty. she thought it was her fault casita fell.

"julieta! come!" pepa yelled in the background.

julieta hesitates before assuring mirabel, "stay here. i'll be right back."

y/n along with pepa and felix was looking for camilo. they called out his name repeatedly, fearing that he got hurt from the rubble. dolores tried to listen out for him but her gift was gone. the one time she wanted her gift, it was gone. antonio stayed by his parents side, confused and scared.

"camilo! mi amor, where are you?" y/n yells. they were scared, they didn't want to lose him.

"camilo!" pepa shouted again.

"mi niño!" called out felix.

"mami? papi? y/n/n?" whimpered camilo.

they turned around to the sound of his voice. they smiled, now seeing that he was okay but he looked.. different? he stood there, fiddling with his fingers as he stared at them scared.

"cami?" y/n stepped towards him.

he nodded, "yeah, it's me. the real me."

he was shorter, maybe 1 or 2 inches shorter. his hair was frazzled and not his luscious curls he usually had. he had a small tooth gap, like his mom. his skin was a bit more tanner. camilo frowned, tears forming in his eyes, "i'm sorry."

"for what?" y/n asked.

"i'm not what you expected me to look like," he sniffled. "i'm- i'm so ugly. i shapeshifted to make myself look like what i wanted to look like. to make all my insecurities go away."

camilo cried, covering his face. pepa and felix watched him, frowning. y/n shook their head and took his hands off his face, "camilo, don't say that. i still love you the way you are."

he looked up at them, "really?"

"yeah. you're still my camilo," they said, kissing him on the cheek. "i hate to see you cry, amor. you're so handsome."

camilo wiped his tears, smiling at them, "te quiero."

"te quiero más."

his parents smiled at the sweet moment before walking towards them. camilo looked at them, "mami? papi?"

"oh, look at you," pepa cooed, cradling his cheek. "mi niño."

"you don't hate how i look?" he questions.

"no. not at all," felix pats his back. "you're our son."

camilo beamed at them. but as a conflict was resolved another one formed.

"where's mirabel?"