030.

USED TO BE MINE

summary: falling out of love with camilo :( </3

they/them pronouns

i've realized i haven't written a lot of camilo angst so here it is

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━♡

camilo and y/n. two peas in a pod. they were inseparable. their love for each other was known by everyone in encanto. people awed at their relationship, some were even jealous. camilo and y/n were in love.

that's how it was for the first few years at least.

their relationship was now crumbling and both of them doesn't even realize it. they seemed to get into fights more often and they found the relationship draining.

y/n stormed out of the room while camilo scoffed at their act.

"yeah, just run away like you always do!" he yelled as he followed them out.

"fuck you, camilo! i don't even know why i'm still with you anymore!" they screamed at him before running down the stairs. camilo watched them go from upstairs, a frown on his face.

"i love you," he said weakly. it was more of a affirmation than him reassuring them.

y/n didn't reply, simply throwing a middle finger at him before walking out of casita.

-

y/n stared at the picture of them and camilo on their bedside table. they looked so happy. 15 year old y/n and camilo, young and in love. now they were 18, nearly 19 and both of them hated the thought of each other. crazy how things can change so quickly in just a few years.

they felt a tear drop from their eye and they quickly raised a hand up to wipe it away. they wanted to patch up their relationship so badly but there was nothing that will fix it. y/n sighed before laying back in bed, going to sleep.

camilo was the opposite, he was outside taking a stroll to take his mind off of things. he didn't know what to do about y/n anymore. he was unhappy and he was sure they were too.

he fiddled with his fingers as he walked, staring at the paper ring he made when he was 16.

"this is for you," a young camilo handed the handmade ring to y/n. "i made one for me too."

y/n smiled at the gesture and took the paper ring from him. they slid the ring onto their finger.

"one day, we will replace these rings with real ones," said camilo. "actual, shiny and glittery rings."

"i mean we don't have to," y/n shrugged and he gave them a confused look. "i like shiny things but i'd marry you with paper rings."

camilo teared up at the memory. he wish he could go back to good old days.

-

"i don't know what to do anymore," y/n ranted to mirabel. "i love him but i just can't do this anymore."

"y/n, you're unhappy you have to let go," mirabel comforted.

"but.. i don't want to break his heart," they said.

"i'm sure he'll be fine, he's strong," she shrugged, looking at how y/n was fiddling with their paper ring. "hey." mirabel puts a hand on their shoulder and they looked back up. "it will be okay."

"thank you, mira," y/n hugged her tightly. mirabel hugged them back, a smile tugging on her lips.

when they let go they kinda just stared at each other. they felt themselves leaning each other before their lips melted into each other's. y/n pulled away quickly, gasping.

"i'm sorry, i don't know why i did that."

"no, no, it's okay," mirabel assured them. "i actually liked that."

y/n smiled at her, "can i kiss you again?"

mirabel nodded and they kissed each other once again. this time it was longer. it was different, different than kissing camilo, but it felt so right. they pull away eventually.

"um, i have to go now," y/n stood up from mirabel's bed.

"alright," she nodded. "when you leave mi primo, you know where to find me."

y/n chuckled slightly before walking out of the room. as they were about to walk down the stairs they bumped into camilo. what a coincidence.

"y/n!"

"camilo!"

they exclaimed at the same time.

"hey," they both said in unison again. "stop copying me." they glared at each other. "i said stop copying me!"

"okay, seriously stop," y/n sighed finally.

"i- um, how are you?" camilo asked.

this was the first time they talked since that argument. both of them had forgotten what they were arguing about.

they shuffled awkwardly, "i'm fine. you?"

"same," camilo nodded and there was a wave of silence.

y/n cleared their throat, "uh, so i gotta go."

"okay, bye," he said as they walked down the stairs. "i.. love you."

they stopped walking and turned to look at him. camilo stared back at them, standing at the top of the stairs.

"don't.. don't say that," they shook their head.

camilo frowned, "why not?"

"because we both know you don't."

with that they left him there.

-

it was 2 days later. y/n told camilo to meet them at their private spot. they fiddled with the paper ring once again as they waited.

camilo appeared in front of them, "hey."

"hey, cami," y/n wore a nervous smile. "so i needed to talk to you about something."

"actually that's funny because i needed to talk to you about something as well," he said.

"alright. cool."

"cool."

they stood there in silence again.

y/n cleared their throat, "i'm just gonna say it. i wanna break up."

camilo felt a lump in his throat. of course it was obvious but hearing the words come out made his stomach turn. his thoughts were cut off as y/n grabs his hand. they opened his palm and placed their ring in it.

"i can't do this anymore, cami," y/n frowned. "i love you, you know? but not in the way i used to."

camilo nodded understandingly, closing his palm. he looks down at his ring before tugging it off. "the feeling's mutual."

"cool."

"cool."

"okay, well i'm gonna go now," y/n said.

camilo nodded and they said their goodbyes. their relationship was done for, just like that. camilo wiped a tear from his face as he puts the rings in his pocket. it was over.

A/N
aw mannn
idk if this like SAD sad but its really mild angst. i really didn't went as hard on camilo as i did with carlos, i just love him too much 😭😭 funny thing is, i was finishing this up while rewatching encanto for the 15th time so every time i saw camilo i felt EXTREMELY bad
its like HEYY ITS MY BOY *looks down at the fic im writing* oh its my boy..
LMAOAOA ok imma stop talking sorry