Secret's Out

The autumn went by quickly, blending into snow and evening hot cocoa. N.E.W.T.S were in three weeks and then it'd be Christmas. Seventh year was going by too fast for anyone to keep track of.

   Most students were found holed up in the library when not in classes or at meals. Conversations had stopped in favor of text-books and foot-long essays. Fawn physically felt her brain hurt from the information being crammed into it. And she had thought O.W.Ls had been hard!

   Christmas at the Potters was the only light house from the stress. It would all be over soon enough.

    An impressive groan left Fawn's lips as she struggled over her Charms notes. She had used to love the class, but seventh year had stripped away that joy.

   "You alright?" asked Remus from behind her. He had just entered the library to do some revisions himself but now was poorly biting back a grin at his friend's misery.

  "No," whined Fawn, "I hate N.E.W.T.S."

  "I think we all do."

Remus slid into the chair beside her. He glanced at the charm work. For him Charms came quite naturally. "Want some help?"

  "Yes," Fawn breathed desperately.

   That was how the next two hours were spent; note-writing, practice, and Remus' ability to teach in an understandable way. Remus was a fantastic teacher, not that that was surprising. He had been the best Professor Fawn had the pleasure of knowing even compared to McGonagall.

   "You're a fast learner," commented Remus as the study session came to a close.

   Fawn blew out a breath, her bangs fluttering. "Thank Merlin for you Remus Lupin," she laughed.

  He chuckled, shaking his head humbly. "It was nothing."

   The pair gathered up their supplies, books thudding into leather satchels, inkwells sealed tightly—something Fawn had made the mistake of not doing once in first year. The halls were quiet, everyone having found a study nook or out with friends enjoying the new snowfall.

   The peace was disturbed by three boys—well they were all of age but that besides the point—who came tearing down the corridors laughing jovially, invisibility cloak flying behind them. The list of things they could have done was endless.

   One would think that because James was with Lily now, the pranks and childish antics would have calmed but clearly not. Although the boys had matured immensely in the past year and a half, they were still kids, they still desired the freedom that Hogwarts allowed them.

   "What did you lot do?" asked Remus, arms crossed over his chest, a false glare staring them down.

  "Moony, how dare you think we did anything!" an offended Sirius exclaimed, right hand pressed firmly over his chest in disbelief.

   "Yeah, we were just hanging out, being great mates," added Peter, James nodding and adding his own words of confirmation.

  "Right," grinned Remus, his eyes rolling in amusement.

   "We have chocolate," Peter spoke up, all three supplying a handful of the sweet each.

   "Oh, so you idiots stole it from Honeydukes then?"

  "Fawnie, you need to trust us more."

  "Mhm, sure Sirius."

   Remus shook his head again, a soft chuckle leaving his lips, eyes focused on the raven-haired boy who was slowly driving him mad. "Fine, I won't say anything. On one condition," he held up his pointer finger, "I get at least half of that chocolate."