New Years Kiss

The minutes ticked down slowly, dauntingly, reminding Fawn, and Regulus, that there really wasn't much time. For everyone else it was the start of a new year, their last New Years spent as Hogwarts students.

Almost everyone in the group was coupled up, ready to solidify or re-solidify the relationships they were in or wanted to be in. Remus and Sirius held hands tentatively, glancing around the group as if waiting for some disapproving comment that would never come. James had his arms circled around Lily as they swayed to the music; all smiles. Dorcas and Marlene, Alice and Frank, Peter and Emmeline—who had come a bit later in the night—were also basking in the joys of holiday love.

"Well this is awkward," said Fawn, cup in hand as she joined Regulus off to the side.

  The boy simply shrugged, a glint of mischief in his eyes. "They already think something's going on with us, might as well have some fun with it."

"Regulus!" Fawn exclaimed. "You can't be serious!"

  "Well obviously I can't be Sirius, unless I was a Metamorphmagus."

The brunette groaned, attempting to hide her amusement. "They are such bad influences on you," she muttered. Regulus said nothing, instead taking a sip of his champagne, a smirk playing on his lips.

It was peculiar how everyone assumed the Slytherin sixth year boy and Faw were an item. Fawn rarely let the idea cross her mind except when it was specifically brought up. There were more important things to think about. She had no doubt that letting Regulus help with her mission was going to bring the two closer and there was no telling what could happen with that. Muggle movies and books always made those adventure stories end with the main characters falling in love. It could happen, she could fall for Regulus, but would really be that big of a deal?

They both knew she wasn't staying in this timeline. They both knew that as soon as she could end the war they'd find her a way back—if the Veil didn't send her back on her own like it did with the other guy.

Even if for some reason they fell for each other, both were smart enough to know that logic beat emotions. This wasn't going to be one of those stories where they live happily ever after the end. No. This story would end on a good note—hopefully—but Fawn wouldn't be able to stick around to see it; hypothetical feelings for Regulus or not.

"Ten!"

The countdown had started but it felt as though everything was really beginning to end.

"Nine...eight...seven..."

Fawn downed the rest of her drink in anticipation.

"Six...five..."

All the couples edged closer together.

"Four...three...two..."

Firecrackers could be heard going off outside in the nearby Muggle neighborhood.

"One..."

Fawn closed her eyes, wishing she could pause the time. Wishing desperately for them to continue being blissfully ignorant kids once again, even if only for a moment.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

More firecrackers sounded over the shouts and screams from the teens. Everyone was snogging. The empty cup seemed far more appealing than having to watch that.

Something soft pressed against her cheek. Turning her head, she saw Regulus with a small grin looking down at her having just kissed her cheek. "Happy New Year, Fawn."

   Fawn did not appreciate the tickle of butterflies awakening in her stomach. "Thank you, Regulus. Happy New Year to you as well."

******

Marlene groaned loudly, her head buried into Dorcas' chest as the Hogwarts Express trudged on. She had had just a smidge too much to drink last night. Lily had offered a Pepper-up potion but, being stubborn as a mule, the blonde had denied. Apparently she could 'tough it out.'

Dorcas didn't mind it at least. She was far too happy to give her new girlfriend as much affection as Marlene allowed; which normally, wasn't much.

"You chose this," laughed Alice.

  "Fuck off Al."

  Fawn grinned. "A little hostile Marls."

  "Shut. Up."

"Okay, let's let the angry Hippogriff be." The girls cackled at Dorcas' comment.

   "I hate all of you."

  "Sure you Marls, sure you do."

"So... Regulus?"

   A few hours had passed. Marlene was sleeping letting the other girls talk quietly amongst themselves. Alice had, a second ago, had her head buried in a book, but now was watching intently, catching onto Lily's question. Dorcas, too, had abandoned her petting of Marlene's hair to grin knowingly at the girl.

"What about him?" asked Fawn. She knew exactly what they were getting at, they'd been bringing it up every-so-often since last year's Slug Club Christmas party.

"That kiss was interesting."

Fawn scoffed. "It was a peck, on the cheek at that. Besides, weren't you snogging Marlene?"

   "Nope. We kissed, but anything beyond a simple kiss we'll do in private."

Dorcas hit Fawn across the arm. "Hey, you distracted me!"

   "Well it worked didn't it?"

"Back to Regulus," Lily interrupted.

"I don't know what you want me to say. We're friends. I've helped him out a lot lately. That's it. Really."

   "Well you're no fun," Dorcas pouted.

   "Oh I'm sorry, what would you rather me say? 'Oh yes, Regulus kissed me on the cheek and it was the single-best thing I've ever experienced. I'm madly in love! Do you think he likes me? Oh I hope so! Should I spend the next three weeks analyzing this—'"

"Three weeks is a bit excessive, Darling."

Lily and Dorcas burst into poorly-contained giggles while Alice raised her book, hiding from the second-hand embarrassment. Fawn was unphased. She'd said the whole thing in an unnaturally high-pitched voice and knew Regulus knew she was only joking around.

Fawn rolled her eyes at him. "Nice to see you too my one-true-love." He bowed, winking at the other girls before taking a seat in the unoccupied spot next to Fawn.

"And what do we owe the delight, Mr. Black?" Dorcas inquired.

   Reg shrugged, propping his feet up lazily on the center table in a way that made his similarities to Sirius much more apparent. "My brother and our friends were being annoying."

It was a special moment that Regulus openly called the Marauders his friends. He hadn't done so before, not aloud at least. Everyone could tell that he was truly growing into himself. Fawn couldn't help but feel a swell of pride for the boy. He'd come so far after everything he'd been through and been taught to believe.

"That checks out," said Lily, "I still wonder why I agreed to date James sometimes."

  "Because you looove him," cooed Dorcas.

   Lily waved her away. "Yes, I know. Unfortunately."

Regulus choked out a laugh with the rest of the group. This was exactly what the teens needed. They needed a chance to be young and carefree with their only concerns being exam grades and career choices; not war and the very real threat of being orphaned at any moment just because their parents weren't magical. So, as the Hogwarts Express continued on past snow-covered mountains and the girls plus regulus continued to chat, Fawn closed her eyes and allowed herself for just one moment to embrace the peace.