TWO

Blake sighed as she sat up from her bed, the credits of an old thriller film, once featured at Sundance, rolling across her laptop screen. It had been a month since she arrived at Barden, and nothing entertaining was really happening. Classes were good, the radio station was good. Friends were okay. She still spent time with Beca and got reacquainted with Jesse, so it was all going fantastically average.

Except now, she had auditions. Auditions for the Barden Bellas, or whatever the fuck they were called. Panicking slightly, Blake shoved on the closest presentable clothes she could find-- a pair of cutoff shorts and a cropped muscle tee --and ran out of the dorm room. Beca was already gone, but Blake had no idea if she was actually going to show or not. Luckily, when she arrived in the auditorium, people were still filing inside and into the seats.

"For your auditions, you will sing 16 bars of Kelly Clarkson's Since You've Been Gone. If a group likes you, they will contact you directly. My tone-deaf sidekick Justin here will be collecting your information." The guy on stage explained. Justin walked across the stage, addressing the audience.

"If I could sing a lick, in any human way possible, I would, but I can't, and I hate myself every day because of it!" Justin yelled. Blake chuckled lightly.

"I know." The first guy continued, nodding solemnly. "But if you think this is just some high school club, where you can sing or you can dance your way through any social issue or confused sexuality, you have come to the wrong place. There is none of that here. That's high school. This shit is real life! Now, don't just bring it, sing it. And let's do this!"

-

Blake stood on stage left as a girl in a red dress and black jacket finished her audition, whispering to herself.

"Crushed it." She praised. "Good luck, skinny bitch." She said as she gave Blake a sudden high-five, and the guy from before called 'next'.

"Please state your name and vocal range." Justin requested, holding his clipboard. Blake scanned the audience. All of the Treblemakers, Aubrey, Chloe, the other a cappella groups and those waiting to see the other auditions.

"Blake. Mezzo-soprano." She replied. Justin walked over, handing the groups a form with her information and headshot on it.

"Whenever you're ready." The guy said, smiling. Blake made eye contact with the boy from the Treblemakers. He had dark hair, glasses and small earrings, and was an extremely talented beatboxer. He winked, smirking at her, and Blake took a deep breath, centring herself.

Here's the thing
We started out friends
It was cool, but it was all pretend
Yeah, yeah
Since you been gone

You're dedicated, you took the time
Wasn't long 'til I called you mine
Yeah, yeah
Since you been gone

And all you'd ever hear me say
Is how I picture me with you
That's all you'd ever hear me say

But since you been gone
I can breathe for the first time
I'm so moving on, yeah, yeah
Thanks to you
Now I get what I want

You had your chance, you blew it
Out of sight, out of mind
Shut your mouth, I just can't take it
Again, and again, and again, and again

Since you been gone (Since you been gone)
Since you been gone
Since you been gone

Breaking out of her performance trance, Blake looked out, seeing an audience of pleasantly surprised faces. Chloe beamed up at her.