XIV: Apex Predator

"Target passing by the main road."

"Prepare to initiate."

"We are on hold and ready to fire. Do you copy?"

"Roger that. For the Resistance."

"For the Resistance."

-

September 6, 2023

8:11 PM

Botan's POV

Another mission, another success.

After saving the president yesterday, we decided to head towards Niigata Prefecture, where Moona was assigned. The sudden bombings made me worried. Good thing she's alright. As of now, we're passing by Shimogo City with a convoy.

I don't know if it's just me or the Resistance didn't use their efforts to prevent us from reclaiming the president. I had fought a lot of small organizations before and it felt like they didn't put up a fight. Something's wrong, I can feel it.

"You're thinking too deeply, Apex-san," One of my agents called out, waking me from the train of thoughts.

"Don't mind me. You want a cigarette?" I asked, giving him a stick of cigarette in the process but he shook his hands.

"No, no. I'm good, Apex-san," he rejected my offer.

"I insist." I lent the cigarette towards him.

"I insist, too. Keep that to yourself, Apex-san. I know you love smoking."

"Well, I want to quit, y'know," With a sigh from my mouth, I returned the stick back inside the box. "Call me Botan, just for this day."

"Okay then, Botan," he gave a smile at me and glanced outside the window of the jeep.

Suddenly, an explosion was heard from the front of our convoy. Our jeep, which is in the middle part of the convoy, came to a sudden halt to avoid unnecessary collisions. Could this be...

"We're being ambushed!!" The radio inside our vehicle reported that gunshots outside could be heard.

This is bad. My life was already either choosing between life or death, which was totally normal for me. But the only thing that worries me is the status of my men.

I jumped from the back seat of the car towards the driver's seat and yelled at the radio just as we heard bullets hitting our jeep. "Engage in combat!"

Despite our huge disadvantages, with my SCAR-H on my hand, I went ballistic. The dark surroundings made us struggle on spotting the targets, which is the opposite for our enemies, since the lights of the vehicles made us easy targets.

Wait...

"Turn off your lights, NOW!" I screamed, hoping that it would help us in winning the gunfight.

They immediately followed my command as darkness completely enveloped the entire area. Only the flash of the guns can be seen from the battlefield.

"Bravo Six, going dark," Equipping my night vision goggles from my helmet, it gave me clear sight against the positions of the enemies.

Gunshot after gunshots, we continued exchanging bullets as the close match extended for a minute. Everything was going our way, until...

"RPG!" one of my men yelled at us and after a moment, an explosion was heard, hitting a lot of my allies 

"Deploy Ballistic Shield!" They set up the bulletproof shield after my command. But it wasn't enough for us since we only carried one of these pieces of equipment.