Prologue I: The Dark Lord's Defeat

The moon illuminated a small cottage in the middle of a village. Inside a toasty window sat a man and woman, playing with two baby boys. Little that they know their peace would soon be interrupted.

A flash, and then quiet as the Dark Lord apparated right outside the house. He smirked. No more prophecy to worry about after tonight, he thought. Prophecy brats, goodbye. Of course, it could be Neville Longbottom at the other end of my wand, but why not kill two brats in one trip? He read the piece of paper that his spy, Wormtail, had given him, and tossed it away as a house became visible. Skeletal fingers pushed away the gate silently as he strode up to the house. He could see them start to look around uneasily, and wondered idly how far he could go before they figured it out.

Inside the House:

"Run Lily! Take the boys!" James, father of the twins cried. "I'll hold him off!"

The door was blown apart and glass flew everywhere. A few embedded themselves in James Potter's body, now unconscious from the explosion. Voldemort took one look at his bloody, unmoving body and moved on. HIs priority was on the twins, not the parents. He glided up the steps, and was amused to see Lily panicking, as the twins were too young to Apparate out. "Crucio!" Voldemort bellowed, and laughed until she dropped from pain and exhaustion.

He looked over the boys. "Now, who to kill first?" The larger twin had red hair and brown eyes, and was bawling his eyes out. The Dark Lord wrinkled his nose in disgust, a quick sliencio took care of him. The other twin was leaner, with black hair and - he gasped. Those eyes... the same color as the Avada Kedavra curse. He must be the one, and saying so, the Dark Lord raised his wand and cast the spell. To his shock, however, the spell hit him in the forehead, only causing a lightning-shaped scar that was glowing green, and the spell itself rebounded after circling Harry once. Voldemort, too shocked to dodge, let the spell hit him, and he immediately disintegrated. Tom Marvolo Riddle was now a wraith, and he swore revenge on the brat that had destroyed his body. Oh yes, he would be back for that brat. Now, to get himself a body again... The wraith floated off.