Chapter 10: Hogwarts

OK, so I'll start by saying I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while... So I'll make it up to you by completely skipping shopping and starting Harry's Hogwarts life! Thanks to the loyal readers who stuck by me!

           Harry stepped out of the shadow behind the train, with his familiars in the expanded trunk. He had simple black robes on, with jeans and a T-shirt on under. He glanced around, smiling at the lack of a crowd. He was fifteen minutes early just for this reason, and it was paying off very well. He was going to Hogwarts mostly for the entertainment value, as he was way ahead of the curriculum. However, he also wanted some friends. There weren't too many people where he lived, and he hoped to meet with more people his age.

               He got on the train without a fuss, though he did see a few curious glances thrown his way. He opened a book and started talking to Sora mentally about how he thought Hogwarts would be, when he heard a commotion outside. He peeked out the train window... Lucas Potter was coming to Hogwarts, and that necessitated a mob of reporters and a smug looking Lucas. Harry sneered; it seemed they had just forgotten him and had a few more kids that seemed to be treated well. 

               He jolted as the train started moving, automatically tensing before relaxing and pulling out a small leather-bound journal he had picked up in Diagon Alley.  He had just started writing in the two way communication journal to Nicholas when the compartment door slid open. Inwardly, Harry cursed himself for not locking it. Outwardly, he kept a neutral expression on his face and greeted, if a bit stiffly, the newcomer with a "Hello."

             Lucas Potter sneered when he saw Harry's muggle jeans. "Move over, muggleborn, this is my train compartment now. You should be honored to be in my presence. I am Lucas Potter, hero of the wizarding world; I defeated You-Know-Who when I was a baby." He sneered and waited, as if expecting Harry to bow and leave.

              Instead, Harry smirked and snapped his fingers behind his back. Immediately, Lucas and his crony, a red haired boy, were thrown backwards out of the compartment and doors slid shut, locking themselves. Harry smirked, and pulled out a book to occupy himself for the rest of the train ride. For better or worse, he was interrupted once more, but this time by a completely different person. Hermione Granger opened the compartment door nervously, but she relaxed when she only saw a dark-haired boy reading a book.

           "Hello, I'm Hermione Granger. Can I sit here?" 

             Harry looked up and smiled. "Of course you can, Hermione." He went back to reading his book on Occlumency as Hermione put her trunk up and sat down.

           "What is your name?" the girl asked after several minutes of peaceful silence.

             "Harry Flamel, it's nice to meet you." The rest of the trip was spent trading stories, experiences, and getting to know each other a little better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Firs' years over here!" Hagrid's booming voice sounded over the chatter of incoming students stepping off the train. Hermione, Harry, a boy who introduced himself as Neville, and a boy named Terry Boot climbed into a boat and set off, making idle conversation along the way. 

      As the students and Hagrid passed through the ivy curtain, Harry couldn't help but be amazed at the sight of Hogwarts in all its glory. He heard his classmates let out sighs of wonder and anticipation as well, and smiled widely. This was looking up to be a great year.

       Sooner than Harry would have thought, the boats docked and everyone dismounted. Hagrid knocked on the giant oaken doors, and with a loud creak, they opened. As the first year students wandered in nervously, they were greeted by a stern faced woman who ushered them into a corridor behind two more doors and went into the Great Hall to prepare the Sorting Hat. Harry had heard plenty of stories about Hogwarts from Nicholas, and thus was able to soothe Hermione's fears about not knowing enough to get sorted.

           "You just sit on a stool and let a hat read your mind, Hermione," he said in a calming tone to a now hyperventilating Hermione. "You'll be fine!" He grinned reassuringly, and just in time Hermione was mollified. The doors swung open, and they were greeted by applause from four differently themed tables. Harry immediately identified Slytherin on the far right, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Harry was startled out of his thoughts on how the school year would go by when his name was called, and he cursed himself. He had been expecting to be called up as a Potter, but he had forgotten that the Hogwarts registry magically updated itself. He placed the hat on and waited for the hat to appear in his mindscape. 

            Harry watched as the hat knocked on his Occlumency gates, and he swung them opened, sure that the hat was sworn to secrecy about his thoughts.

            Oh my, was all the hat had to say in his mind before speed-reading his memories. The hat started talking to him while doing this.

               Hmm, it hesitated. You show great loyalty towards your friends and family, so Hufflepuff is an option. You are cunning and know the ways of a snake, so Slytherin is also an option. Gryffindor would suit you well, with your courage and bravery. Finally, Ravenclaw would definitely work, for your passion for learning  is nearly unrivaled. Now, you must choose. Where do you wish to go?

              Harry pondered for a while, before coming to a decision. Gryffindor will probably have my twin there, a Slytherin sorting will make Dumbledore keep an eye on me, and Hufflepuff, I suspect, will not have my new friends in it. I want...

                "Ravenclaw!" the hat boomed, and Harry flashed Hermione a grin before sauntering off to his new House. He sat and waited, and not too long after he heard Hermione get sorted into Ravenclaw. Harry cheered with the Ravenclaw table, and patted a space beside him for Hermione to sit. They sat together and watched the rest of the sortings. Most were uneventful, until Lucas Potter came along. A wave of whispers swept across the hall, and Lucas sauntered up to the hat, looking confident and smirking smugly. 

                 After a few minutes of what seemed to be an intense argument, Lucas was sorted into Gryffindor, but the hat seemed opposed to it. After raucous cheers and chants of "We got Potter!", the feast finally started. After everyone was finished, the headmaster stood up to make announcements. 

            "Students, welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Mr. Filch, as always, has asked me to remind you that the Forbidden Forest is off-limits. Also, I would like to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Professor Quirrell," he paused for a smattering of applause for the stuttering professor, "and our new Muggle Studies professor, Professor Evans!" Thunderous applause filled the hall as they clapped for the mother of the supposed Boy Who Lived. Harry sneered softly, but clapped reluctantly. It wouldn't do to stand out.

                 "Now, off to bed you trot!" the aged headmaster ushered the students out after the school song. Harry followed Hermione and Terry up to the Ravenclaw dorms, where the prefect replied to the riddle and let the first years in. Instead of waiting for the prefect, Harry made his way up to the dorms, smiling as he saw his trunk next to a bed. He climbed in, and was out like a light. He slept soundly, dreaming of home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   AN: Alright, finally at Hogwarts! I apologize for the updates, and I am truly sorry. Updates will probably be sporadic, but I will try to get one done every two weeks. Anyway, in holiday spirit, New Year's Update! :) Thanks, Fanfiction4evernever.