Part 7

"Yeah, totally!" you reply. Wimer's face lights up, and they quicken their pace to walk by your side. 

"Last year, I didn't make the team, but I think I have a fair chance this year." Wimer says conversationally. 

You study them. Their small build will make them easy to tackle, but maybe they could make the cut as a wide receiver or a running back.

"I have faith in you." You say with a smile. Wimer looks up at you happily. 

The two of you pass through the pastel-locker lined hallways to the glass doors separating the main building from the football field. There's already a few people lined up, pale green-and-pink athleticwear uniting them as senior players. A male figure paces up and down the line, and as you get closer, you recognize him as Zed, captain of the football team.

His crop of dark green hair is fluffed up by the wind. He looks pretty slank to be a star football player, but you don't judge. He has a stormy look in his eyes, which seems odd considering his favorite sport was starting up again. You and Wimer join the line of potential teammates, and soon, the tryouts begin. 

You seem to be doing well. You make third place in the 40-yard dash, do pretty well in the lineman drills, and are proud of your performance in throwing and tackling. You can feel Zed's eyes on you after you finishing up kicking/punting drills, and smile to yourself. Things are looking up.

Wimer is utterly destroyed in the tackling drills, but places first in the 40-yard dash and seems to do fine in the throwing drills. It's possible they might make the team because of the sheer lack of players in general, which is surprising considering the popularity Seabrook's football team gained last year. You guess it truly is a cheerleader's town.

You finish up the last drill and jog down to the lineup of football players. The coach of the team, wearing a pale green visor, stands in front of you, reading off names. You stand tensely, nearly jumping when you finally hear him call out your name.

A smile breaks across your face as you meet Wimer at the entrance of the football field. 

"I can't believe I made it!" they say giddily. You smile for their sake. You hadn't been paying attention to whether they made the team, but you're glad to have a friend now.

"Good job!" you congratulate them, mind wandering. 

"Did you hear?" asks Wimer, "There's going to be a big after-tryouts bash for both the cheer squad and the football team tonight, at the old power plant. Those parties get pretty wild. I had my first kiss there!" they laughed, as if reminiscing. You perk up. A party? Social events... well, there are good and bad, but this sounds pretty good! 

"Consider me there!" you reply, and this time the excitement in your voice is genuine.

Turn to Part 12