Part 11

"Football, definitely." you reply, trying to keep the cheeriness in your voice to a good level. Not too bored, or he'll be hurt. Not too enthusiastic either, or he might get the wrong idea.

"Ah, cool. I'm more of a cheer kind of guy, but I can't join either anyways. Gotta give all I have the wolf pack, y'know?" Wyatt says genuinely. You nod, surprised at the sincerity in his voice.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow, wolf." you say awkwardly, trying to be a bit playful but pretty much failing.

"You too, human." he says with a wink, turning down the corner to leave the building. You stand still for a second, just watching him leave. You blink, trying to clear your mind, and start walking towards the football field. There was something in his voice in that last interaction, something soft and tender that you can't quite place.

You pass through the pastel-locker lined hallways to the glass doors separating the main building from the football field. There's already a few people lined up, pale green-and-pink athleticwear uniting them as senior players. A male figure paces up and down the line, and as you get closer, you recognize him as Zed, captain of the football team.

His crop of dark green hair is fluffed up by the wind. He looks pretty slank to be a star football player, but you don't judge. He has a stormy look in his eyes, which seems odd considering his favorite sport was starting up again. You join the line of potential teammates, and soon, the tryouts begin.

You seem to be doing well. You make third place in the 40-yard dash, do pretty well in the lineman drills, and are proud of your performance in throwing and tackling. You can feel Zed's eyes on you after you finish up kicking/punting drills, and smile to yourself. Things are looking up when the captain of the football team's checking you out.

You finish up the last drill and jog down to the lineup of football players. The coach of the team, wearing a pale green visor, stands in front of you, reading off names. Standing tensely, you nearly jump when you finally hear him call out your name. Zed's dark eyes haven't left you, but you don't think much of it.

A smile breaks across your face as you exit the gym, duffel bag swinging by your side. You exit through the gym doors and start the short walk home. The perfectly paved street feels nonexistent below your feet as you stride across the smooth surface, turning the final corner to make it to your house.

You turn the silver doorknob and walk inside, hanging your backpack on the hook. You don't have any homework today (thankfully), so you start thinking about leisurely activities to fill your evening hours. Your train of thought is interrupted as your eye catches on a scrap on paper on the counter. 

Hey, kiddo!

I know I said I'd been home tonight, I was called in for another shift :( 

I'll be back by midnight, hopefully. Stay safe <3

Lots of love, [Parent Name] 

P.S.: I think there's a party at that old factory thing for people who made the cheer and the football teams @ 5:00 tonight. You have my permission to go, even if you didn't make the tryouts! Make good choices though :)

Your heart skips a beat. Party? That you're invited to? A slow smile spreads across your face. Your eyes flick over to the large, round clock on the wall. It's almost five already. After zipping upstairs to change into some more relaxed clothes, you speed out the door. 

Turn to Part 13