Part 8

"Actually, I think I'll do cheer." you reply inoffensively. Wimer looks disappointed, but quickly covers it up with a pained smile.

"Alright, then. I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" Wimer says.

"Yep!" You flash a quick grin, and the two of you part at a fork in the hallway, Wimer to the glass doors separating the football field from the main building, you to the gym.

Inside, thirty or so nervous-looking pastel students stand in a messy clump. Bucky Buchanan, captain of the Cheer Squad, is standing with the Aceys and his cousin, Addison. 

Addison looks happy and confident, so much so that you are mildly intimidated. Her white hair, shimmering in the sunlight, is pulled back into a neat ponytail that bounces around as she walks to survey the Cheer Squad hopefuls, who you soon join. Something about the way she looks at you makes your pulse quicken, and  whether it's from fear or happiness is unclear to you.

"Alright, everybody!" Bucky crows, clapping his hands twice. "You know what you're here for. Things are gonna change up a bit this time, though. As you know, I am graduating soon, which means you will need a new leader. I've thought long and hard about who ever could replace my glory? Who could lead this school to..." Blah blah blah. You zone out for a second. It's pretty obvious he's going to choose his cousin Addison, because, like, nepotism. You don't mind, of course; Addison has certainly earned her place on the cheer squad, but you wish Bucky could deliver the message without all the theatrics. 

"...and that is why I'm proud to announce that my cousin, Addison Wells, will be leading this year's Cheer Squad tryouts." Bucky took a quick glance at the crowd, "I know, I know, it won't be the same as my fantastic methods, but you'll have to make do." Your fellow Cheer Squad wannabes don't look too desolate about Bucky's departure.

Addison steps forward, placing her pompom-holding hands on her hips and examining the crowd. Suddenly, she raises both pompoms in the air, shaking them aggressively.

"Who are we?!" she yells enthusiastically.

"The Mighty Shrimp!" you and the crowd yell back.

"Whadowedo?!" 

"Win win win!"

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"WIN WIN WIN!!"

"STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"WIN WIN WIN!!"  The crowd cheered, shockingly loud sound reverberating off the walls of the gym.

"GOOOOOOOOOOO SEABROOK!!!!!!" Addison, you, and the crowd cheer in unison.

The cheer squad wannabes go wild, the infectious pep of Addison spreading like wildfire. 

Once everyone calms down a bit, Addison starts speaking again.

"Hello, Seabrook! Let's get down to business. I'm your stand-in Cheer Captain, Addison Wells, and this is Cheer Squad Tryouts! We have twenty spaces available right now, and you will have to prove you have Persistence, Energy, and sPunk- or, PEP, to get one of these coveted slots."

Addison's searching blue eyes seem to stare into our souls, hunting for something that would prove our worth to the Seabrook Cheer Squad, something to prove that we have PEP. You straighten up your posture, putting on your best smile in an attempt to make a good first impression.

Addison puts her hands on her hips and shouts, "Let the Cheer Squad Tryouts BEGIN!!!"

The tryouts are hardcore. There are push-ups, people pyramids, and obstacle courses- OH, the obstacle courses. Jumps and twirls and flips to get through them, moves you didn't know you could do. By the end of the tryouts, you are exhausted, but you don't let that ruin your PEP. You shout the cheers with just as much energy as the first one, making sure your landings, your pom-pom shakes, your everything is as perfect as you can make it. The same can't be said for some of your fellow cheer wannabes, several of whom straight up leave the tryouts midway.

Addison calls everyone back to the centre of the gym, perfectly glossed lips turned into a subtle half-smile that strikes fear in your soul.

She claps her hands. "Everyone, line up." Her voice is authoritative and assertive. She is not messing around.

You fall in with the rest of the cheer hopefuls as Addison makes her way down the line, talking to each of the recruits in a low voice. Your heart rattles your rib cage with anxiety as she turns to stand in front of you.

"You're in." she says, tone of carefully neutral composition. Whatever secrecy she's trying to pull is ruined by the shining grin that split across your face.

On your way out of the gym, you struggle to keep your gleeful skipping under control. You see a familiar petite werewolf leaning on the lockers lining the hallway, expression unreadable.

"Oh hey, Wimer! How did football tryouts go?" you ask, trying not to be too cheerful in case they didn't get in.

"Well... I made it!" they exclaim happily, jumping up and down with happiness. You grin.

"Me too! Good job, I knew you could." you congratulate them. The two of you start walking to the school entrance to walk home, conversing lightly.

"Oh, that's right!" Wimer says suddenly. "There's going to be an after-party at the old power plant for the Cheer Squad and football tryouts. Wanna come?"

"Ooh, yes please!" you say. Maybe you'll meet some new people, y'know, get to learn the social landscape. Perhaps you could get in with the popular crowd, or hook up with some mysterious lover by moonlight. Maybe not that last one, but can't a person dream?

Go to Part 12