chapter six

// - chapter six - \\"as hard as you try

"as hard as you try."

🏙

DOC'S DRUGSTORE
THURSDAY AFTERNOON

Being a working woman was harder than Elizabeth expected, especially when she had assumed that she would only be working the odd shift with Valentina but now it seemed that she was living in the store. Not only was the work challenging, one thing in the wrong place and everything is messed up, but she had to deal with the same customers every day. Despite seeing Riff at the movie theatre that afternoon, the Jets were back at the store that evening because they had nothing better to do than to steal some candy from an elderly lady.

When the bell above the door rang, Elizabeth was expecting to be met with the smirking face of Riff but was surprised to see that he wasn't with the others. Neither was Tony and she expected that the two leaders had something important to discuss, something that they didn't want the others around for until everything had been decided. She had been counting money behind the counter when the boys arrived, and instead of going towards the candy or the comic books as they usually did; they came straight for her. At first, she felt intimidated by them, she had never been alone with the boys and they were part of a gang, there were rumours about what gangs did. She wanted to give them a chance because they were Riff's friends but there was a small part of her that felt uncomfortable when they first surrounded her behind the counter.

"Liza." Ice said smoothly, placing his hands on the counter and staring at her with a tough expression; she attempted to match his gaze because she didn't want them to know that she was slightly scared of them. It wasn't her fault; their entire image was scary with their leather jackets and their bruised knuckles; she had been taught to stay away from guys like these and they were coming to her for some reason. He broke the staring eventually by sighing and shaking his head in defeat. "We need your help."

Instantly she relaxed slightly because she was worried that they were going to attack her or steal from the register or something but it seemed that she had judged them too quickly. At the same time, she had no idea what she could help them with, unless they needed dresses for the dance. "My help? What would you need me for?"

"The dance. Baby John wants to ask Tessie but he's scared."

"Isn't that what you should be helping him with?" She wondered, knowing that this gang was all about brotherhood and taking care of each other; dating advice would surely come into that.

"But you're a girl." Tiger pointed out quickly, which made everyone turn to him with slitted eyes; it wasn't the best argument to use and even Elizabeth was surprised that he had contributed anything.

"Congratulations, Tiger, I'm glad you distinguished that."

Balkan shook his head, bringing the attention back to the serious conversation because some of the guys took this more seriously than others; he flipped his coin in the air. "You know how to talk to other girls-"