chapter twenty one

// - chapter twenty one - \\"just desert me

"just desert me."

🌃

THE SALT SHED
THURSDAY NIGHT

In the darkness, the Jets and the Sharks face each other; sizing each other up for a brief moment as they all stood in silence. Then Riff snaps his fingers and a bright light shines above them, blinding everyone as they were not used to the lit warehouse. Ice was stood by the door, his hand on a large lever that had been used to turn on the lights. The Sharks covered their eyes to stop the light from blinding them too much but the Jets remained unmoved, confidently showing how unaffected this made them and how prepared they were for the rumble. The Salt Shed was perfect for the fight, no cops would even think about finding them there as they were searching the usual turf for both gangs; this was where everything would change and both gangs were hoping it would be in their favour.

"Welcome to the North Pole." Ice grinned proudly, the Sharks looked around as the light now illuminated mountains of white salt rising up on every side of the warehouse, a salt truck parked by the wall. "It's salt, for when the streets ice up."

Ignoring his words, Braulio turned to his leader. "Dice que es sal, pa' derretir la nieve en la carretera."

"Deechuhkuh dechunked ababadabaduh." Mouthpiece said loudly, imitating the Puerto Rican and causing his friends to laugh whereas Bernardo placed his hand on Braulio's chest to stop him from lunging at them. They were going to fight but they couldn't just launch themselves at their opponents without clearly thinking things through.

Big Deal and Numbers move to close the door nearest to them, knowing that everyone who was supposed to be there had turned up; ignoring the fact that Tony had once again let his brothers down. Bernardo signalled to Braulio, wanting him to do the same thing. "La Puerta." Listening to his friend, Braulio closes the opposite door, now no one could get inside and no one could get out.

"Kill the lights." Riff said sternly, not taking his eyes off Bernardo as he stood as calmly as possible.

Ice pulls on the lever and the shed is dark again, near the ceiling there were a few small dirty windows that let in some moonlight and occasionally car headlights from the highway appeared, giving the warehouse some light so that they weren't stood in complete darkness. Anybodys gestured for Elizabeth to follow him, leading her over to a large mound of salt and watching the gangs as they squared up to each other. Elizabeth was glad that she had thrown on whatever shoes she could find in such a hurry because her usual heels would have given her away much quicker; biting down on her lip, she held her breath and knelt near her friend; both of them anxious about what was going to happen.

"You promised your buddy was gonna be here." Slowly, the Jets and the Sharks moved closer, crowding behind their leaders who were ready to start the talking before the fight. Bernardo wasn't happy that Tony didn't arrive, the whole rumble was because of him and he wanted to kill the American boy that lay a finger on his sister. "If you don't keep your word, jefe, how am I gonna believe you'll keep out of our territory after..." Bernardo was distracted when he saw movement behind the Jets, Chino pushed his way through the white boys to join the Sharks but the leader stopped him from falling into line. "Que haces aquí? ¡Te dije que te quedaras fuera de esto!"