chapter eight

// - chapter eight - \\"standing on my own two feet

"standing on my own two feet."

🌃

THE GYM
FRIDAY NIGHT

Mouthpiece led the way down the street to where the dance was happening in the gym, on their way there were several other kids heading in that direction that joined them. Velma and Elizabeth linked arms to make their way there, both of them beaming with excitement. This was the first dance that she had ever attended and it was going to be the most important one, she could feel it, she just hoped that everything would fall into place when they got there. They had somehow fooled her parents and now it was time to let loose and have fun, something that she wasn't used to doing.

As they reached a long corridor, Elizabeth felt herself pulling away from her friend. Velma checked that she was okay before realising that this was something she had to do alone, and grabbed her dates hand to lead him inside the gym. There were young couples everywhere, queuing for food and drinks at the refectory stand. This was her big chance to make the dream entrance that everyone always fantasised about, the one where the music literally stops for you and everyone watches you because you're new, you're mysterious and everyone wants to know who you are.

She took a deep breath and smoothened down her dress, checking her hair quickly before pushing open the double doors of the gym. Inside was exactly what you'd expect a gym to look like and on the stage, there was a band playing live music for the event. Her heels clicked against the gym floor as she made her way through the couples, she spotted the Jets straight away as they mostly wore their black leather jackets even for the dance; although they had attempted to look more formal with slicked back hair and polished shoes. It was nice that they were making an effort for their dates and she thought it was sweet. The group cheered as she walked over to them and they parted their circle so that she could join them, her smile already growing just from their reactions.

Her eyes scanned the circle, seeing Riff on the other side with Tony talking into his ear but he wasn't paying attention to his best friend because his eyes were set on the girl in the green dress. No matter what she had worn, he was going to be enthralled by her but he had never imagined to see her looking more radiant than ever before. His eyes looked her up and down, taking in every inch of her beauty and wishing that he was just slightly closer so that he could show everyone that this was his girl. Sure, they weren't officially together and they had only kissed once but he was sure that tonight would go better for him than for some of the others; he actually had a chance with this girl and he was going to take it.

Feeling an uncomfortable stare on her back, Elizabeth looked behind her and spotted a different crowd of teenagers; they had darker complexions and wore patterned outfits. She hadn't seen these people before, not when she had been working or walking through the city and she wondered why they were glaring at the Jets. Then she remembered what everyone talked about, that there was a rivalry between gangs in New York; she was stood with the Jets which meant that the ones glaring at her were the opposing side. "So, those are the Egyptians?"