Chapter 8

Eleanor Richard

''You can stop here.'' I tell Maddox as we arrive in front of the kids' new school.

''I won't take long.'' I take my seatbelt off before he has the chance to reply. I open the car door walking towards  the main entrance .

I go to the pick-up area where there's kids running around or playing with each other.

I look around for my kids .

It doesn't take me long to find Everleigh sitting in a corner reading her book. I notice a little brunette girl sitting next to her. I walk over to Everleigh trying my best not to step on anyone's child. They probably think I'm a giant.

''Eve.'' I call out her name to gain her attention. She looks up from her book, her eyes lighting up as she notices me. ''Mommy!'' She carefully places her book down, running to me.

My face softens as I hear 'Mommy' instead of 'Mom'.  Eve is out of her 'Mommy' phase which shows how quickly she's growing up. I cherish anytime she calls me Mommy.

She hugs my legs and I bend down to her level  kissing both of her cheeks. ''I missed you.'' I told her.

''You saw me this morning.'' She says. '' But I wasn't able to look at your cute face for 8 hours.'' I pinch her cheeks.

''Mom.'' She says sternly, she tilts her head in the direction the little brunette girl is. I raise my eyebrows. Aw, my little Eve is embarrassed.

I stand up to my full height, ''Do you want to introduce me to your new friend?'' She gives me a slow nod.

She takes my hand bringing me to my friend. ''Mom, this is my new friend lily. Lily this is my mom.'' Her hazel eyes light up as she looks up at me.

''Nice to meet you, Everleigh's mom. '' She says in a quiet voice. She's adorable. ''It's nice to meet you too, Lily. Your hazel eyes are beautiful.'' Lily gives me a shy smile. ''I agree!'' Everleigh chimes in.

Lily lowers her  head blushing as Everleigh grins. ''Don't worry, Mom. She blushes when she's shy sometimes.''

''Excuse me, are you picking anyone up?'' A female voice interrupts. ''Oh yes, I'm here to pick up Everleigh.'' I tell the lady who must be Eve's teacher.

''Oh, wonderful! We had a great time, didn't we?'' She looks over to Everleigh. ''Yes, I even got a new book!'' She holds up the BFG.

The teacher smiles. ''Before you leave just make sure you sign the sign out sheet.'' She informs me.

''Bye, Mrs. West and Lily.'' Everleigh waves bye to them as they wave bye back. Lily holds onto Mrs. West's  hand as they walk to other parents who are getting ready to sign out their kids.

I take the time to observe how alike they look. As if Eve could read my mind she says, ''That's her mom."

"Makes sense. Now how about we go find your brother?''

----

After signing them out Noah is telling me about his day. ''Where's your car, Mommy?'' He looks around for my white Range Rover.

I continue to walk in the direction Maddox's SUV is in. ''It got towed by some grump.''

''You got to see a car get towed? That must've been so cool!'' Of course he thinks that.

''That's not a good thing, dummy.'' Eve interjects.

I give her a warning look.  I open the door to the car and next thing you know they let out a huge scream. ''STRANGER DANGER!'' Noah shouts pointing at the handsome man in front of us.

''Call 912, someone! '' Noah can be dramatic sometimes but I'm glad he remembers the safety rules.

''It's 911 idiot.'' Everleigh sighs.

''Eve I told you not to call your brother that. '' I scold. 

Noah sticks out his tongue.

''This is one of my...'' I look for the right word. ''Coworkers.'' Maddox finishes for me.

''It must be cool working with my Mommy!'' Noah says no longer feels in danger.

Maddox smirks while looking at me, ''I guess you can say that.''

I clear my throat.

They get into the car and I remind them to put on their seatbelts. 

''You have a very nice car, Mr.'' Noah says.

''Thank you, I have all types of cars.'' Maddox replies. He fell right into Noah's trap; endless questions.

This also happens to be one of Noah's favorite topics. ''Really?!'' Noah leans forward grabbing the back of my seat. ''I have a bunch of cars too!''
Amusement fills Maddox's eyes.

''Bottom on the seat Noah, unless you want to fly out the window.'' I told him, which made Eve laugh.

''You only have toy cars.'' Eve interjects.

''No one was talking to you bookworm.'' Noah replies.  Maddox stifles a laugh which earns him a glare from Eve in the mirror.

''There's nothing wrong with reading, that's why my brain isn't the size of a pea.'' Eve says in a mild tone.

''Mommy!''

That's my cue to butt in.

''Eve don't say that about your brother's  brain, both of your brains are still developing.'' I say.

Eve rolls her eyes  and goes back to reading her book. ''I can see who's she gets her personality from.'' Maddox says. I snapped my head around glaring at him, ''What's that supposed to mean?"

''You guys both have a smart mouth and temper. Even though her's is a little cooler and easier to handle.''  My eyebrows raise as my eyes meet his grey ones . 

''Look Mr. this is my favorite car.'' He holds up his red hot wheel car.

Maddox engages Noah's curiosity about cars, which led to Noah begging me to allow him to go with Maddox to see his car collection. ''Pleaseeeee.''

I sigh, I don't really want Maddox to interfere with my kids life's . I wanted this car ride to be a one time thing. ''I'll think about it.'' Is all I say as we arrive in front of our house.

----

I hope you enjoyed!