Chapter 16: Back when It All Started

Aira Ryūzaki's POV

I couldn't enter the indoor sports hall so I just stood by the entrance watching the tryouts. Being an elite school with a high-leveled basketball club, many students apply for a position in this reputed team. As such, the club has three separate strings, labeled the first, second, and third strings. The first string is the main team of the club, the strongest and most important one. The club's captain is always a player from the first string. The second string can be considered reserves for the first string, even though they play their own matches too. The third-string is somewhat of a dumpster where the players end up after being rejected from both the first and the second string. It is unknown if the third-string even play in their own matches, it seems that it is only created to keep low-quality members in the club. It is encouraged for them to improve and advance to the second string, but this is unlikely to happen.

As the coach was announcing who got into the first string, the moment I heard Aomine's name got announced, I jumped for joy.

"I will be even more shocked if he didn't get into the first string," I mumbled. 

Right after the tryouts were finished, I could see Aomine immediately running toward me, "Did you see how good I did there?!"

"Hai hai, you were good. I was watching the whole entire time you know," I replied.

"Oh? Who might this be?" A certain crimson red hair guy came up towards us. If I remember correctly, I think his name was Akashi.

"Is this your girlfriend?" A tall purple hair guy continues on.

"Humph at such a young age?" A green hair guy with glasses added on.

"What? Girlfriend? No way! This is Aira Ryūzaki! My rival!" Aomine exclaimed and all three of them were shocked.

"Rival?" The green hair guy question.

"Ehh impossible. How can a girl be such a rival to Aomine?" The purple hair guy said and that actually pissed me off just a little bit.

"It doesn't mean I am a girl that I can't play well, you know," I spoke up with annoyance. 

"Well, see you around Aira-chi," The purple hair dude said and the rest walked off.

"Seriously girlfriend? Do I look like I am your girlfriend Daiki?" I turned to face Aomine.

"What no way! I would never date my best friend,"

"That's right," I said. After a moment of silence, I spoke up, "Is it possible for me to use the court to play after your training sessions?"

"Should be fine, let's have a match later on!"

"You're on!"

Right after that day, usually, I would wait for Aomine to be done with his training then after everyone has gone home, I would use the court for a while to practice with Aomine. 

"Why don't you join the team as a manager? I would be sure that they would accept you as we need the help," Satsuki said as we sat down for lunch.

"You sure about that? I would be sure that I would be useless," I replied. 

"Oh come on, useless? We would love your analysis! You could teach the team a little bit on how to improve as well," 

"I-" Before I could say anything, I got smacked in the head.

"Oops didn't see you sitting there," I could hear Aomine's voice behind me.

"Daiki, if you apologise to me right now, I would let you live," I said without turning to face him.

"Well, I don't want to," He replied. 

"I will give you a head start then," I stood up and turned to look at him.

"3..2..1..." He bolted and I chased after him. We ran around the cafeteria, a whole floor and once we were outside on the field, I managed to tackle him to the ground with me on top of me and him on the bottom.

"Got you," I said.

"Hahahaha, I knew you would catch up, you are faster than me," He laughed.

"Did you do that on purpose?" I ask with a hint of annoyance in my tone.

"Of course. That smack was for saying you're useless," He flicked my forehead. 

"Tsk," I got off him and helped him up.

"Your speed though, I bet you can beat almost all of my teammates," He said once he stood up.

"Pfft like I would be able to have a match with all of them," I replied.

"Actually you can," Someone spoke up from behind me. I turned to see who it was and it was Akashi. 

"Akashi," Aomine called out.

"That speed of yours is incredible," Akashi continued on.

"You saw?" I ask.

"Well of course, practically maybe the whole school saw your speed," He replied.

"We did ran around the school," Aomine spoke up and I chuckled in response. 

"Meet me during the basketball training hours, I would like to see more of your skills," That's all he said before heading off.