ㅤㅤ000ㅤprologue─terrible beginnings.

chapter zero.
prologue─terrible beginnings.

ㅤ ㅤ ㅤDa-hee along with her parents stood in front of a crowded room, crowded by flowers actually, the place was mostly deserted of people

ㅤ ㅤ ㅤDa-hee along with her parents stood in front of a crowded room, crowded by flowers actually, the place was mostly deserted of people. Inside the room, an old man stood next to a little boy, who was sobbing his heart out. The boy was kneeling as his head was in his hands.

"Stop!" Da-hee's mother ── Park Su-jin, pulled the little girl back, whispering. "Can't bring you anywhere." The mother rolled her eyes as the little girl threw her usual tantrum. Da-hee hated funerals, the bareness of the rooms and the gloominess of the atmosphere ── none of it was pleasant to the little girl.

The elderly man from before stepped out of the room, he was immediately recognised by her parents. He bowed in their direction.

"Chairman." The two parents greeted, Su-jin handed Da-hee to her aunt. "Not a sound from you." The mother glared at the little child who was on the verge of tears. Her aunt ── Park Su-yeon, patted her back, lulling the girl. But the girl couldn't be stopped, not ten minutes after her parents went into the room, Da-hee had started crying.

"I hate this place! I want to leave!" She cried and squealed, the few people still around stared at her, mostly pitiful glances, some annoyed, and despite her aunt's best efforts, nothing could shut Sol Da-hee once she started crying, except a slap from her mother or a glare from her father.

"Who─" The sobbing boy came out, he stared down the girl who paid him no head. "Do you even know where you are?" The boy was comparatively older, yet not too old. "I don't care!" The girl whined, "Someone passed away, do you have a brain, you're disrespecting the dead!" The boy shouted at Da-hee, his eyes tear-filled.

This only triggered her to cry more, now screaming and sniveling. Her mother pulled the girl aside, "You little!" The mother shook the girl, the father continued comforting the old man and the little boy, sending a glare towards Da-hee's direction once a while. "Quiet now." The mother angrily scolded. She tried holding in the cry, reducing the loud sobs to whimpers.

Her mother let her go, signaling her aunt to take her out. The woman came, holding Da-hee's hand gently, opposite to her mother's hold.

"I hate this place, it's disgusting and creepy." She whispered to her aunt who kept her head down, who was sending caring glances to her niece. The boy from before pulled her back and pushed her down. "You disrespectful brat." He screamed at her one last time, only causing Da-hee to cry again. Her aunt quickly pulled her out, leading her to their car.

She sat in the car, quiet now. It had been half an hour. She stared at the boy who had pushed her, he approached a big black car. "Who died?" She asked her aunt, "His parents." She replied pointing to the boy, Da-hee was young and while she couldn't fully grasp the concept of death or grief, she knew what it looked like.

She'd seen grief when her uncle had passed away and her beloved aunt had cried for days. And she'd seen death when visiting her grandmother, who died a month after being admitted. "I'd love to lose my parents." She whispered, shocking her aunt.

"What was that?" Park Su-jin roared, immediately Da-hee fell silent. "What you did in there was just disgraceful." The mother reprimanded, "I hate funerals." The girl replied. "Do I look like I care." The mother retorted.

Her father who had entered the car shortly after, didn't say a word. "Just─ god how I wish you weren't like this Da-hee." The mother complained, sighing, as if it was Da-hee's fault for being a bad kid when her parents didn't bother parenting her. Da-hee got terrible marks but she was observant, she had friends and she could separate good parents from bad.

Her mother continued and Da-hee blocked it out, not the tears though. The tears came tumbling down no matter how hard she tried keeping them in. "Stop crying." Her father finally spoke up, he glared at her. "You embarrassed us in front of Tae-moo's grandfather."

She assumed Tae-moo was the boy who lost his parents. She'd hope they would never meet again, but good things don't last long. They never do.

 They never do