Myeong & Roco

The new girl was definitely feisty. But feisty in a charming way that Karina definitely wasn't. As usual, the big tattooed woman was keeping herself well away from everyone else, sitting in her corner with her head down as Alexis described her abduction.

'You actually hurt him?' Myeong said, pressing her hands to her mouth.

Alexis snorted. 'I cut him but I hardly think I hurt him.'

Myeong shook her head. 'I wish I was as brave as you.'

It was not something Myeong could ever be capable of—such courage. Particularly against a man. Particularly against a man so big! She remembered her own abduction. How she'd sat frozen in her bed, barely able to think, barely able to breathe. She'd been so terrified she hadn't even thought to rouse her husband who'd been sleeping right there next to her.

Juan reached over to grab her hand. 'You are brave, sweetheart. It's not your fault you're so damn tiny.'

Lowering her eyes, Myeong gave a dejected nod.

Myeong, Brenda, Juan, Alexis and Chloe were sitting on the beds, their heads together as they cast frequent looks towards the mirror. They were whispering, though it was doubtful they needed to. From what Myeong had observed, the aliens couldn't understand their language. Still ... there was every reason to be extra cautious.

Like Karina, Aisha was sitting in the corner, whimpering and trembling behind her scarf, listening but not offering any input. Myeong started to wonder if she understood English all that well. It was probably good she didn't. The girl seemed even weaker than she was. The last thing she needed was to hear all the terrifying details. It was hard enough for Myeong.

'They seem made of steel, these men,' Brenda agreed.

'Not quite,' Alexis said, tugging at the leg of her jeans which was stained red.

'At least we know they bleed actual blood,' Juan said. 'Perhaps they're more similar to us than we think.'

'But those eyes!' Brenda said.

Brenda had fully recovered from the accident. Apparently the aliens had taken her away, given her a shot and mended her head. She'd still been unconscious when the aliens returned her to their little prison and had laid her on the bed. Juan had been so guilt ridden, weeping into Myeong's shoulder as she patted his back. It wasn't until Brenda had woken before he could be properly consoled.

Now, he was sitting beside the redhead, his hand clasped tightly around hers, having made amends. Brenda didn't blame him for what happened. No one blamed him. Myeong glanced over at Karina, who continued to sit quietly in her corner. Unlike Juan who had apologised profusely, Karina hadn't apologised at all.

Alexis looked around the room wide-eyed, before resting her dark eyes upon the mirror. 'Are they really behind there?'

'Yes. They're watching us,' Brenda said.

'Even when we go to the bathroom?' Alexis twisted her mouth in disgust.

'None of us have needed to use it yet, thank the Lord!' Chloe said.

Alexis shook her head. 'I just can't believe it. I thought there was no such thing as aliens. He looked like a man. How can they look so much like us?'

Nobody could answer her.

'I always thought they were real,' Juan interjected. 'In a universe as big as ours, why wouldn't they be?'

They all fell silent.

Myeong was looking into her lap as she thought back on their conversations. Karina's voice wouldn't stop echoing in her head: There's no point in being naive. They want us for one thing.