Aisha & Quinton

Quinton stood by the spy window as he looked into the lesson room, accompanied by Tor and Roco. Roco was sitting in his seat, watching his little female intensely. Tor was standing in the corner, his arms folded, a seemingly permanent scowl upon his face. Every now and then, he raised his head to look at his female, only to shake his head and glare at the floor again.

At least Quinton's female had put her helmet on. Tor's had pushed hers to the floor. The brown-haired female was resolutely sitting in her seat, her arms folded, pouting. There were angry tears upon her cheeks. Quinton suddenly realised how much the two were mirroring each other. If he were cruel, he would have laughed.

He gazed at his own female. He still had hope, but he was envious of Roco. The two were getting close. He'd seen the look they'd given each other as he'd led her into the lesson room. Quinton still didn't even know his female's name. It made his stomach twist. When would it be his turn?

Then there was Clint—the lucky bastard. And where was Zibry? Quinton knew he and his female were making good progress. His stomach twisted harder. Were they, even now, making love? He hoped they weren't as fiercely as he hoped they were. It meant his little experiment was right. And yet it was making him more and more desperate. When was his turn?

Soon, he reassured himself. He'd organised a surprise for her, something that would make her life easier. Something that would make her whole again. He couldn't wait. Once the lesson was over, he would show it to her. She would be surprised. She would be amazed. Maybe even thankful. And surely then they would make progress. Surely then she would look at him with different eyes.

Those lovely dark eyes.

Would his eyes change, like Clint's? he wondered. Silo had informed him about the pair's bond when Quinton had taken his female into the infirmary for a more in-depth brain scan.

'You can feel it,' Silo had told Quinton. 'You can feel their connection just as you would with a regular Zibon partner.' He'd shaken his head, looking bereft as he'd turned back to his stricken female.

Quinton tried not to feel jealous, but as each second passed it was proving more and more difficult. He watched her in her helmet, aching to take her face between his hands. He stretched out his fingers, thinking of how he would brush them through her hair. He could only imagine what her lips felt like. Her tongue.

He turned away with a grimace, folding his hands in front of his groin.

Quinton, Roco and Tor came and went throughout the morning, checking on the progress of their partners. Nothing much had changed; Tor's female still hadn't touched her helmet and the other two were continuing with their learning.

All three men had returned together again late that morning when the door opened to reveal unexpected company.

'Clint! What are you doing here?' Roco said.

The door snapped shut behind him. His black hair looked a little mussed up, his eyes bright. He looked relaxed and cheerful in a way Quinton had never seen him before. Quinton stared at his eyes. They couldn't be more different, one bright, one dark. He must attract considerable interest from the other Zibons on board. Quinton wondered whether he should take some blood from him. See if there were any unexpected changes in his body chemistry. There wasn't any recoverable research on the affect bonding with Rictorians might have on them.

'I've come to have a chat and see how things are going.' He turned towards the window.

'Not good,' Tor said.

'Give her a chance, she'll come around,' Clint said much too airily.

Tor scowled. 'Keep your success to yourself. I don't need it.'