Chloe & Tor

'Keep away from me,' Chloe said, backing up against the wall.

The alien towered over her as the little crippled girl and the Chinese woman were led through the door. They went willingly. Willingly. With those demons.

Her voice echoed around the room but it did not stop him. Seizing her wrist, he dragged her along behind him. She knew where he was taking her. Where else but back to their room and back to their bed?

They'd slept together last night. Actually slept together. She'd fallen asleep in his arms and woken up in them. And she had liked it. She'd liked it! She couldn't let it happen again.

Once she'd woken, she'd slipped from his arms and hurried into the bathroom to check herself over. She'd been still fully clothed but she checked her underwear anyway. She'd touched herself with her fingers and smelled herself. He could have done anything. He could have drugged her. He could have used some mind control technology to take advantage of her.

Though she didn't know what man stuff smelled like, she knew he hadn't done anything. He could have touched her, though. He could have felt her up and she wouldn't have known. He must have done something to her.

Dragging her through the door, he yanked her along the corridor. He was so strong! Stronger than her father. Much stronger than her brother. How could a grip be so unbreakable?

'No!' Chloe cried as the door to their room slid open.

She clutched at the doorframe but he simply peeled her fingers away like it was the easiest thing in the world and hauled her inside. The door snapped shut behind them and he released her. She ran back towards the door and tried to open it. Of course it didn't work, so she sped into the bathroom. The door shut behind her but it didn't lock.

Chloe gnawed at her lip. What was she going to do in here? Why was she in here? What did she hope would happen? She closed her eyes, thinking of last night and how he'd torn off her wet clothes. Now, she was starting to question herself. Did she secretly want that to happen again? No! She did not!

Just to prove it to herself, she went back into the bedroom. He was sitting at the little table with his chin on his fist. Chloe looked at him, then away again. She'd been so bored in that room with the two other women, doing nothing, seeing nothing, staring at the wall. It had almost been a relief to see him again. Anyone again.

What was wrong with her stupid brain? Chloe gripped onto her ears, as though she could tear them off her head. It was almost as though her brain was betraying her—and her body.

Weak. Her father was right! Weak. Weak. Weak.

It had always frustrated her that he'd kept her away from the neighbourhood men, as though she couldn't be trusted! And now she knew he'd been right to do it. She couldn't be trusted. He was wise. Her father was wise.

The alien stood. Chloe stepped back. His size always overwhelmed her. His shoulders were massive. His eyes were piercing. And his hands were so big they engulfed hers. All he had to do was throw her on the bed and take what he wanted—and yet he didn't. He never did. Just as he didn't now. Instead, he turned towards the little kitchen.

Chloe stared as he filled up one of those cylinder cups with water. It was sensor activated. No buttons. How did the kitchen actually work? He waved his hand over what she assumed was another sensor, then turned towards her, holding out the cylinder of water. Chloe was thirsty.

A screen flashed up on the wall of the kitchen. There were pictures with jagged writing beneath.

'If you learn our language,' he said slowly. 'You can order.' He pointed at the pictures.