Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Beep! Beep! Beep! I groaned as I lazily rolled over and looked at my alarm clock. The red digital glow read an early 6:30am. Personally, in my opinion this was too early for any person to be up. Especially if that reason was to go sit in a desk for roughly seven hours listening to a teacher's lecture. Having accomplished my goal of turning off my alarm, I rolled back over onto my back so that I could stare up at the ceiling.
The past two days at home had been bleak at best. They mainly consisted of me waking up around 10:00am or so and going downstairs. Once there, I would then proced to go to the kitchen where I would fix me a bowl of some kind of Special K cereal my mom had. After eating, I would then head back to my room all the while avoiding and ignoring my mom. I repeated this process for lunch and dinner with various food choices. All in all, it was an overall boring weekend.
I could only hope that today would be better. Considering that I was having to start school again, I sincerely doubted it but hey, I was willing to have a positive attitude. Going into my en suite I looked in the mirror and saw what an absolute mess I was. My hair was going everywhere, doing its own thing as usual. Turning on the shower, IU stripped and got in. The hot water and steam seeped into my pores, instantly relaxing my body. I took my time with my shower, cherishing every moment and every droplet of water like never before.
After spending a solid twenty minutes in the shower, I decided that it was time for me to get out, especially since my skin now was completely shriveled. Trust me, a raisin would have been jealous. I went to my room and put on my white robe before returning to my bathroom. Wiping the mirror clear of condensation, I studied my reflection. Much better, I thought.
I decided to just throw my hair up in a bun, because honestly, whom was I trying to impress. I proceeded to put on the required uniform for Wake Forest Prep. This outfit consisted of a white button down, a black skirt, hose, a tie, and black flats. Even outside of "juvie", I had to wear a uniform. Grabbing my satchel, I headed downstairs to get some breakfast.
Upon arriving in the kitchen, I spotted my mother and Robert sitting at the dining room table laughing and holding hands. Rolling my eyes at them, I had to mentally remind myself not to puke as I poured my cereal. Walking over to the kitchen island, I began to shovel cereal in my mouth like the proper lady I was. I sincerely hope you are noting the sarcasm about the last bit.
After listening to my mom and Robert's incessant giggling for the past fifteen minutes, I decided that I should start heading off to school so that I had enough time to collect my schedule from the front office. Grabbing my bag off of the floor, I turned to head to the front door when Robert's voice stopped me.
"Hey, wait up Evangeline! I am going to drive you to school." I just raised my brow as I turned to look at him. "Why? School is only a five minute walk from here," I said. Robert just smiled at me. "I know but it's on my way to work and anyway it's getting a bit cold outside to walk," he said. I just blinked at him with a straight face. Don't get me wrong, Robert was nice and I personally didn't have a problem with him. The only reason why I was protesting in the first place is because I didn't want to have to be any closer to my mom's new boy toy than I had to be and I knew he would be gone in about another two or three months when my mom had sucked him dry and was done with him. However, considering it was a bit chilly outside I decided to put on a fake smile and accept his offer. "Right. Well okay then if you're sure. I'll just be out in the car." I turned and headed out of the door to Robert's car just as I saw him and mom kiss goodbye. Yep, that was definitely puke I just tasted.
To say the car ride to school was awkward would be the understatement of the century. One thing I learned about Robert in the short time we spent together in his overly fancy car was that the man loved to talk. So much so in fact that he will continue to talk even if the other person in the apparent conversation wasn't responding. I leaned over to once again turn up the radio hoping the dude would catch a hint. Sadly, it was to no avail as he continued to talk about some fundraising party his golf club was hosting.
When we pulled up to Wake Forest Prep, I had never been more relieved in my life. Quickly grabbing my bag, I said "thanks" before hopping out of the car and promptly cutting off whatever Robert was going to say next. Walking up the steps to the school building I took a deep breath before opening the doors. Well, I thought, here goes day one of my new life on the straight and narrow. With that thought, I entered the school building.