Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The rest of the week flew by with me going over to Jason's house and schoolwork. I had found that juvie had indirectly made me more sociable than I used to be. True, it was only Jason that I really associated with but that was more than my normal, non-existent social life. I believe that my short stint in the Juvenile Delinquent Center showed me that I had missed a lot of important teenage moments because I hadn't associated with anyone. Being lonely and invisible to people was what caused me to steal in the first place. With that being said, I was really looking forward to tonight.
It was only me in the house as mom and Robert had went to some fancy business dinner. After doing my homework and watching Criminal Minds for a couple of hours, I glanced at the clock and noticed it was five o'clock. Deciding that I should start to get ready, I got up from my bed and headed to the shower. When my shower was done, I dried and curled my hair. Walking to my make-up drawer, I took out my concealer and mascara and applied it as normal. Then I went to my closet to find the perfect outfit.
Standing in front of my wardrobe for minutes, I realized I had no idea what to wear for a teenage movie outing. Considering my wardrobe over the past months had been either a jumpsuit or my school uniform, I hadn't had to make very many stylistic choices. It was tines like these where I wish my mom and I were closer and could actually carry out a conversation longer than five minutes. Sighing, I just put on a pair of jeans with a navy sweater and a scarf. Finishing off the look with a pair of old Vans, I grabbed my phone and headed downstairs to wait on Jason.
After a full thirty minutes of nail biting and pacing, the doorbell rang. Taking a deep breath, I grabbed my wallet and headed to the door. When I opened it, I saw Jason standing in all his magnificent glory on my porch. It's no wonder this guy is popular was my first thought. Smiling at Jason, I was the first one to speak, "Hey." Wow, Evangeline, what a first line. "Hey! You look awesome. It's actually kind of weird to see you in regular everyday clothes," he said. I laughed, "I know I basically live in my uniform." "I think everyone does. Are you ready to go," he asked. Nodding my head yes I locked the front door to the house and followed Jason to his fancy car. When we reached the car, Jason opened the door for me and said, "After you my lady." I grinned at him as I got in the car. "Why thank you kind gentleman," I replied.
On our way to the theater, my joking and calm attitude slowly began to dissipate. I began to think of all the scenarios where Jason's friends absolutely hated me. And if his friend hated me, then Jason wouldn't want to hang out with me anymore. If Jason didn't hang out with me anymore, then I would be lonely again. Statements like those were running through my head before I finally blurted out, "I'm nervous." Jason glanced at me. "Nervous about what," he asked. "Meeting your friends! What if they absolutely hate me? I mean I'm not exactly the poster child for being sociable," I said. Jason took one hand off the steering wheel to grab one of mine and said, "Hey, they aren't going to hate you. And even if they did, that wouldn't change our relationship so don't be nervous, okay? Trust me." Boldly I replied, "Okay, I believe you." And that was the truth. I completely trusted Jason. Looking out the window I didn't even realize Jason's hand hadn't let go of mine.
Upon arriving at the movie theater, Jason told me that we were a bit early for the movie and that the others would be here soon. Apparently we were seeing some new comedy, as the guys hadn't wanted to see the newest Nicholas Sparks inspired movie. Stepping up to the ticket booth, I ordered my ticket and went to pay for it when a hand beat me to it. Looking at Jason, I began to protest, "I was going to pay for that." "Yeah but I invited you so, therefore, I get to pay for everything. It's only the gentlemanly thing to do," he said. I frowned at Jason, "But I have money. I can pay for my stuff." "Just let me do this, please," he begged. Begrudgingly, I agreed.
While Jason and I were in line at the concessions, I heard a loud voice shout out, "Yo Jase, I hope that popcorn is for me." Jason turned around to the source and began to laugh before giving the guy one of those man handshakes. "You wish, Matt. Sorry to tell you but this popcorn is for Evangeline, and me" Jason replied. Matt's head swiveled to me before a small gleam appeared in his green eyes. "So, you're the infamous Evangeline that this guy won't shut up about. I'm Matt, it's nice to meet you." Jason's face heated up about Matt's comment. "Evangeline, nice to meet you," Matt said.
Right then two people came up behind Matt. It was a boy and girl who looked to be dating if their clasped hands were any indication. Jason introduced them to me, "Evangeline, this is Tommy and Morgan. They're the other two people in my main group of friends." After greeting Matt, Tommy, Morgan, all bought their food and we headed in the theater. Morgan and I talked on our way in and through the credits. Jason was right; they were all super kind.
The movie that we were watching actually wasn't half bad and I laughed on more than one occasion. Every time this happened, I would notice Jason staring at me. To be honest, his behavior confused me. I wasn't sure if he was glancing at me silently, telling me to shut up because we were at the movies or if he was admiring my smile. My question was answered when he grabbed my hand.
We had already finished the popcorn that we had bought to share, so my hand was on the armrest when Jason intertwined our fingers. Looking at him, I was met with a smiling face. I smiled back as he went back to watching the movie. We stayed like that for the rest of the movie, car ride, and walk up to my house.
"I had fun tonight. You're friends are really nice," I said. Jason replied, "See, I told you!" I unlocked my door and said to him, "So, let's do this again and I get to plan it next time." Jason thought about it for a brief millisecond, "Okay, that's perfect." "Bye Jason." He kissed the back of my hand he was holding and said, "Goodnight Evangeline." And then, he was gone around the curve. I wasn't sure what Jason was to me but we definitely aren't just acquaintances anymore.