Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

The next morning when I went downstairs, my mom was back to being her perky self. She had been out of commission for all of yesterday as she had been nursing her hangover. This led me to believe that she must have got super wasted if she was sick the whole day. Her usual hang-over normally only lasted until noon tops so something at the art gallery must have really set her off. Not that I cared all that much what she did in her free time, but what can I say, I was curious.
"Where's Robert? He's normally in her by now fawning all over you like some love sick puppy." My mom didn't even look up when she responded; "Sadly he had an early business meeting at the clubhouse this morning. Why? Do you need a ride to school?" Chugging my apple cider I placed the cup in the dishwasher. "No, I was just curious plus I already have a ride to school," I barked back. This time my mom looked at me when she responded, "You mean you of all people actually have a friend?"
Now I had pretty thick skin for a fifteen year old but hearing a comment like that from my own mother hurt. I shouted back, "For your information, yes I do have a friend!" It was at that moment I heard a horn honk. "In fact that's him now." With that final remark, I grabbed my bag and walked out the front door faintly hearing my mother;s response which was, "Your friend is a guy?"
Getting into Jason's car, I slammed the door and roughly threw my school materials in the back seat. "Rough morning?" Jason asked. "You could say that," I retorted. Jason pulled out of my driveway and headed towards school. "Well I'm sure it will get better as the day goes on," Jason replied.
The day didn't get any better. I got a seventy-five on a biology quiz I studied three hours for; I didn't understand the new concept in math, and got coke spilled all down the front of my shirt. So to say I was in a depressed mood would be spot on. Jason suggested we go to his house for tutoring since I wasn't exactly presentable to be in public right now; I could have kissed him for this suggestion. When the bell rang at three-fifteen, I was the first one out of the classroom. I walked to Jason's car, which was where I found him leaning up against the passenger side door, "Ready to go," he asked. I replied, "More than you know." Opening the car door for me, Jason let me knot the car before getting in on his side. He then proceeded to drive to his house.
Now mind you, I live in what some would consider a mansion so I normally don't consider houses to be large or grand, but when we pulled up to Jason's house I was thoroughly shocked. If my house is considered to be a mansion, then his house was a castle. The house had to be at least five stories high. There were even topiaries along the driveway.
Turning off the car, Jason turned toward me and said, "Sorry it's a bit much." I looked at him incredulously and said, "A bit? This place isn't even a house, it's a castle!" He just nervously laughed at me and remarked, "Well what can I say? My parents enjoy opulence." Getting out of his car, we walked up to his driveway. It was then that I noticed that his car was the only one in the driveway. Walking into the house, I decided to ask Jason about the lack of cars.
"So where are your parents?" I asked. Jason looked back at me and said, "Oh, they're out of town. They're gone a lot." "So are you here by yourself?" I asked. Following Jason to the kitchen, he grabbed two drink glasses from the cabinet as he responded, "Yeah for the most part. Our maid stops by every day to clean the house but other than that, it's just me here. Do you want some water?" I nodded my head yes and went and sat at the counter.
Looking at Jason, I felt a connection with him. I could tell that he was hurt by his parents absence but was just trying not to show it. I know what it feels like to want your parents love and not receive it. When I was in juvie, I had actually missed my mom. Even though she never really focuses on me, it's still nice to know that she is there. Jason didn't even get that since his parents were always gone. When I first pulled up, I had thought this house was a fairytale castle. Now, speaking from experience, I could tell exactly what it was; a prison.
"So I'm actually halfway through with the book I got yesterday at the library. Shockingly enough I'm actually enjoying it," Jason said. Breaking out of my reverie, I smiled at Jason and said, "Really? That's awesome! See, I told you reading wasn't that bad." Jason smiled back at me and replied, "You're right, it's really not. Thanks for the help." "Oh, it's no problem. You're helping me with math so it is the least I can do," I answered. I got up to put my cup in the sink when Jason spoke again, "Oh hey, would you like a new shirt? You know, since yours is completely ruined." "Oh no, it's okay. I couldn't," I said. "I insist. Come on I'll just give you the tour while we are at it," Jason responded.
Following Jason out of the kitchen, we walked up two flights of stairs. It was no wonder that Jason was always so in shape. Walking all these stairs everyday even I would be in shape. Going into the first door on the left, the first thing I noticed was how clean and organized his room was. "Wow, well this isn't your stereotypical teenage boys room." Jason just shrugged, "What can I say? I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my personal spaces." I lifted a judgmental eyebrow at him, "A bit?" He just laughed at me.
Walking over to his chest of drawers, he pulled open the middle drawer to reveal a whole ton of t-shirts. According to his true OCD nature, they were all sorted by color. "Here is a blue one. Sorry if it's a bit huge," he said. I gratefully grabbed the shirt from his hand, "Thanks. I'll wash it and bring it back tomorrow." "Nah, just keep it. I have tons more anyway. You can change in the bathroom if you want," Jason responded.
Walking towards the bathroom, I opened the door and shut it behind me. Like the rest of the house, the bathroom was immaculate and expensive. Changing my shirt, I went to leave the bathroom when I notice two photos by the door. One showed what I was assuming was a young Jason with who could no doubt be his parents behind him. They all were so beautiful and happy. Looking at the other photo, I could see the stark contrast. In this photo, Jason had to be around twelve years old. All three people were still as pristine as all those years ago but there were no smiles to be had. It was as if the life had been sucked out of them. Leaving the bathroom, I walked up to Jason, "Ready for the tour?" I nodded at him in confirmation, "Ok then, let's get started."
About thirty minutes later, we were back in the kitchen on the first floor. The grand opulence of the house still absolutely blew me away. Not only was the house five floors but there was also a swimmer's paradise outside complete with an Olympic sized pool and a huge hot tub. Obviously, based off of Jason's lifestyle, entrepreneurship is the way to go. When we sat back down in the kitchen, we both worked on our designated homework. Jason helped me with parabolic functions and I helped him analyze Jay Gatsby. All in all, it was a really productive afternoon.
When we were packing up, Jason decided to start a conversation, "Hey, are you doing anything this weekend? Well actually Saturday I guess." I replied, "Uh no I'm not. Ever since I've come back, I always just sleep or watch Netflix unless I have homework. Why?" "Well me and some of the group are going to the movies Saturday night and I was wondering if you wanted to go," he asked. I chewed on my bottom lip and then responded, "I don't know." Jason encouraged me by saying, "Oh come on, it'll be fun. Besides it's a movie so you don't have to talk to them if you don't want." I thought about it for a while longer, "Okay, I'll go." "Sweet! I'll pick you up on Saturday at 6:30pm then," and that's how I had my first teenage plans since juvie.